• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Knife Skills

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I recall someone on the site talking about setting up a knife skills class some time ago and not sure what happened to that. I just took a class this weekend in NYC Institute of Culinary Education on knife skills. It was a three hour course and I would really recommend taking something like this if you have a chance. It was very informative but what I found most striking about it was to discover that there was basically nothing that I have been doing right with a knife in some 40 years of cooking :oops:

Ooops

That class sounds great.

I have learned a lot looking at knife skills on YouTube. Things like "pinch grip" and "claw grip" are pretty well covered. "Japanese knife skills" brings up some good stuff too.

Great idea.

My lack of skill is not unlike a low budget slasher film.

I really do need to upgrade and get a couple of decent knives and learn how to maintain their edge.

I really want a good santuko.

Yep, knife skills are probably the most important thing when it comes to home cooking, at least in my opinion. Quality ingredients, marrying of flavors, being able to construct a recipe all on your own are all important too, but lack of any of these things don't end up with chunks of your finger falling to the floor, and blood spurting all over your high quality ingredients that are about to be married to perfection.

Yep, knife skills are probably the most important thing when it comes to home cooking, at least in my opinion. Quality ingredients, marrying of flavors, being able to construct a recipe all on your own are all important too, but lack of any of these things don't end up with chunks of your finger falling to the floor, and blood spurting all over your high quality ingredients that are about to be married to perfection.

Knife skills prevent the self mutilation but it also enforces that you need to keep your cuts as uniform as possible for even cooking. This way you don't end up with some uncooked, cooked, and overcooked pieces of food in a single pot.

I recall someone on the site talking about setting up a knife skills class some time ago and not sure what happened to that.
That was me and it's still going to happen. I had to put a few things on hold this winter to deal with some elderly parental issues.

I learned knife skills some years (decades) back and it is something I greatly value. It just makes everything a lot simpler to accomplish in the kitchen.

It was very informative but what I found most striking about it was to discover that there was basically nothing that I have been doing right with a knife in some 40 years of cooking :oops:Ooops

care to expound on that???

ICE has some great classes.

Working in Manhattan daily, with a 2 hr min commute each way, I look for a class on Friday nights. I see that now it is taught by someone else and they now have this class on some Friday nights. They never used to have a knife skills class on Friday nights, but then it used to be taught by someone else, Norman Weinstein - I did pick up his book though, Mastering Knife Skills: The Essential Guide to the Most Important Tools in Your Kitchen.

Back