Beginners Question

BisonStew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here and after years of cooking with gas I got myself a small Weber Kettle.

I apologize if similar questions have been asked but I couldn't find anything similar using the search option.

I need some simple answers to getting the lump up to temperature. I think it's a question of patience and amount of fuel.

I loaded up the chimney (just about full) after about 10 mins it had a nice orange glow so I dumped it to one side of the kettle. I fully opened the bottom and top vents and waited another 5-10 mins, at this point when I peeked the charcoal looked like it was going out and there was not too much glow. Thermometer read close to 400F. In my mind it was like I was losing my fire so I put the rib eye and tenderloin on and covered it. I kept peeking and it seemed that the bottom layer of charcoal was getting there but the ones at the top were still black.

Steaks still turned out great but I know I'm missing a step, do I need to be more patient with the chimney or after the chimney step? More charcoal? Should I be covering the kettle right after I load it from the chimney?

After I finished dinner the fuel was really hot, it got to at least 500F.

I'm looking forward to your tips on how to be more efficient.

Thanks

Lump can be tricky and unpredictable like that sometimes. For me, when lighting either lump or briquettes in a chimney (for grilling) I let both go for a standard 20 minutes before I dump them into the kettle. Once in the kettle and arranged to how I want, I let it sit for another 5 minutes or so with the lid off, sorta of a "settle" in period while I grab the steaks or whatever from the kitchen.

Next time (now you have a good excuse to fire up the kettle again), try the 20 minute light up and see if that helps you out.

If I am cooking two or three steaks, a small cook on a Weber, by small, I am assuming 18" (?) I will try to contain the coals on one side of the cooker, either with a charcoal basket or other device, so that the heat is contained. I almost always put a layer of unlit coal down, then light the chimney with it full. If I am looking to do a high heat cook, like a steak. This is allowed to fully ignite, then dumped over the existing unlit coals in the kettle. I let this sit for 15 minutes or so, with the lid on, all vents open. Then go to cooking.

In a really small kettle (Smokey Joe) then just build a layer of unlit coals in the entire cooker and spread the fully lit chimney over those coals. Keep the vents wide open. Everything else stays the same.

It seems like a full chimney is a little much for a weber. I use only 1/2 cimney. For grilling, I mostly use Kingdsford Blue. For me, lump is too hot, especially when cooking hamburgers. I like to toast the buns, but the last time I used lump, I burned the buns. Anyway, I have a 22.5" kettle and 1/2 chimney has always worked for me. My 2 cents.

Good choice on the grill, by the way. Not much that a Weber can't cook.
^+me & welcome to the forum. Even with a bunch of other big boy toys, our Webers are still the "go to" for most weekday cooks, probably average 2 weeknights and at least one day on the weekend cooking something on one of them. An added benefit, if you take care of them they can last forever.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just one clarification though, landarc says, "I let this sit for 15 minutes or so, with the lid on, all vents open. Then go to cooking. "

BigBelly concurs with landarc but states, "landarc covered it, keep the grill uncovered".

Flyingbass also replied lid off.

I just wanted to clarify because that's the one step I'm definitely not sure of, lid off or lid on after chimney step?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just one clarification though, landarc says, "I let this sit for 15 minutes or so, with the lid on, all vents open. Then go to cooking. "

BigBelly concurs with landarc but states, "landarc covered it, keep the grill uncovered".

I just wanted to clarify because that's the one step I'm definitely not sure of, lid off or lid on after chimney step?

I do both

After pouring the lit coals out of the chimney, I let them sit for a few minutes with the lid off to fully ignite.

Then I put the lid on for a few minutes to allow the temps to settle down to cooking temp.

Then commence to cooking

Dont overthink this. Its really pretty simple. You will get it

Just started with a Weber last summer a few cooks, and I was doing it "wrong"...tossing the lid on when I dumped the chimney in (with vent wide open) tried it the "right" way today, BIG difference :). It was acting before like one chimney full was not enough for a 22.5"

Another way to look at it is with the lid off is like cooking on a stove top, cooking with the lid on is like cooking in an oven. Both work, but with the lid off you have to monitor for flareups. Lid on is more hands-off.

Another way to look at it is with the lid off is like cooking on a stove top, cooking with the lid on is like cooking in an oven. Both work, but with the lid off you have to monitor for flareups. Lid on is more hands-off.

In my case it is probably learned behavior from gassers, with them if you want to build heat you have to have the lid closed.

beginners question

In your original post you said a while after dumping your lump the bottom layer looked like it was burning but the top looked dark, like it was going out. Normally, unless you spread the coals while dumping, the top layer in the grill will be the onces that are burning hot because they were the bottom layer in the starter. I usually let the lump or briquettes get well lit in the starter--i can se flames at the top--and then I dump into my grill. I'll let it burn for another five minutes or so--top on--before spreading my coals out a bit. If I think i might need more lump, I'll spread some on top after the initial load of lump is burning good. Then, top on, until I have a good fire. Adjust my vents down (I'm probably at at least 450 by now). Throw the steaks on and cook--top on. An inch and 1/2 to two inch porterhouse gets pulled from the frige, seasoned and on the grill. If the grill is stable at 400, side one might get 4 minutes (top on), flip, and maybe another 3-4 minutes. Instant read for me should be about 130-135 when pulled for a few minutes rest.

Thanks guys. Katman, yes I may have rushed the chimney to kettle part although I could have sworn they had a nice glow. You are right the top ones should have been stronger. Maybe another issue was the fact that I still had some leftover charcoal in the kettle from the previous cook. I forgot to mention that in my op.

Thanks guys. Katman, yes I may have rushed the chimney to kettle part although I could have sworn they had a nice glow. You are right the top ones should have been stronger. Maybe another issue was the fact that I still had some leftover charcoal in the kettle from the previous cook. I forgot to mention that in my op.

I always have left over from last time

I just think you need to give it more time to let her rip!!!

Back