On my way to Texas!

Haveuseen1?

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looks like I will be in TX next week for work. Starting off in San Antonio, working up to Waco, then Arlington, then Grapevine, leaving out of DFW.

I am up for BBQ reccomendations anywhere along that journey, and am bringing a cooler just in case there is a Brisket sale going on that week.

In Grapevine: i recommend hard eight bbq - stay away from the sauce. The brisket, ribs and sausage good. If you lucky, bacon wrapped shrimp.

http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

Only thing semi decent bbq in Arlington is Rudy's bbq, just the brisket is decent there, and the jalapeno sausage. They might have smoked tenderloin (nice)

http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/home

If you want a hooters style view (and not offended), Bone Daddy's. The 'Q is ok, but the baby back ribs are nuts.

http://www.bonedaddys.com/default.aspx

In Grapevine: i recommend hard eight bbq - stay away from the sauce.
great tip! I sure wish someone had mentioned it to me when I went. The only thing it worked on, IMO, was the sausage.

Arlington/Grapevine: you won't be too far from North Main BBQ in Euless. AYCE but only open on Fri/Sat I think.

great tip! I sure wish someone had mentioned it to me when I went. The only thing it worked on, IMO, was the sausage.

Arlington/Grapevine: you won't be too far from North Main BBQ in Euless. AYCE but only open on Fri/Sat I think.

Ya, good tip. North Main BBQ. Awesome ribs, if you there on fri, sat, sun. He only opens 3 days a week.

the woodshed in fort worth is absolutely worth the short drive from arlington. i'd venture east of austin to lockhart and hit up kreuz, smitty's or both. even further to the west of austin in llano is cooper's.

If you willing to drive to Fort Worth stock yards :)

Risky's bbq at the Stockyards location at the end of the strip.

http://www.risckys.com/

All you can eat beef ribs for $10 bucks. Its nuts, and they are good. And you get to see some of the old west while you are there, and ride a mechanical bull if you are brave.

Here's a post of a trip I took recently to Austin.

Gore went too and put up a post.

There's a website called "Full Custom Gospel BBQ" that has a very extensive list and reviews of BBQ joints all around TX.

I'll second Hard 8, it's one of the places I make a trip to on my motorcycle. Their ribs are really good, and if you're in the mood for smoked whatever, they have all sorts of things. It's sold market-style, so if you want a single slice of brisket, two bones of ribs, and half a sausage they can do that for you.

How much time do you have along the way? Are you planning on stopping between San Antonio and Waco? How much time do you have in DFW? Hutchins FTW!

As a Fort Worth resident, I can't vouch for SA but on the way up 35 you have to check out Miller's Smokehouse in Belton, Kirby's BBQ in Mexia and detours in Tarrant County worth your time are Billy's Oak Acres BBQ out in far west Fort Worth and Longoria's BBQ off of 35W northbound in Everman (south FW) - get the brisket sausage.

I echo that Rudy's is the only decent (yes, it's a chain) BBQ in Arlington - get the moist brisket - but North Main in Euless is semi-nearby and often good on the weekend - it's a buffet too! And if you want to swing out to Dallas from Grapevine, Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff (Dallas) or the long lines at Pecan Lodge in downtown Dallas are worth the wait and the expense.

The Full Custom Gospel Blog was/is Daniel Vaughn, the now BBQ editor of Texas Monthly and the website www.tmbbq.com is a great resource for Texas 'Q.

I can stop along the way, and my time will be pretty flexible. Lots of great suggestions and thanks!

How much time do you have along the way? Are you planning on stopping between San Antonio and Waco? How much time do you have in DFW? Hutchins FTW!

I second Hutchins bbq. Their ribs and brisket will make you cry. Get the stuffed jalapenos too! I am always in a food coma when I leave Hutchins

As a Fort Worth resident, I can't vouch for SA but on the way up 35 you have to check out Miller's Smokehouse in Belton, Kirby's BBQ in Mexia and detours in Tarrant County worth your time are Billy's Oak Acres BBQ out in far west Fort Worth and Longoria's BBQ off of 35W northbound in Everman (south FW) - get the brisket sausage.
How many times have you been to Miller's in Belton?

If you're in San Antonio and driving toward Waco there a few places that I suggest over Rudys. Near Austin , there is Salt lick bqq, it's actually in driftwood and a little off course, only about 15-20 minutes, but it's much better than Rudys. There is also schoepfs in Belton Tx. It's between Austin and Waco right off of 35. It's pretty good too. But if you're heading up 35 from San Antonio, Franklins BBQ is the place to stop. Problem is, people lineup at his place like it's a freaking Disneyland ride. So you gotta get there like at 8:30am and wait till almost 11 to get your lunch, or you can pre order but you still gotta get there before 10am. While you're in San Antonio, if you wanted to try something else like a good cut of prime rib, there is a place on the river walk, buodros. It has an excellent blackened prime rib. Dinner is a wait, but lunch is almost always an immediate seating. It's a bit pricey, close to 30 bucks for the prime rib, but it comes with russet potatoes and grilled veggies. The duck and sausage gumbo is pretty good too.

If you're in San Antonio and driving toward Waco there a few places that I suggest over Rudys. Near Austin , there is Salt lick bqq, it's actually in driftwood and a little off course, only about 15-20 minutes, but it's much better than Rudys. There is also schoepfs in Belton Tx. It's between Austin and Waco right off of 35. It's pretty good too. But if you're heading up 35 from San Antonio, Franklins BBQ is the place to stop. Problem is, people lineup at his place like it's a freaking Disneyland ride. So you gotta get there like at 8:30am and wait till almost 11 to get your lunch, or you can pre order but you still gotta get there before 10am.

That's the 2nd reference to Belton, Tx. Didn't realize we were becoming that popular as a bbq destination.:clap2:

That's the 2nd reference to Belton, Tx. Didn't realize we were becoming that popular as a bbq destination.:clap2:

Y'all have some good stuff in Belton. I like schoepfs. They have a good pork chop, the beans are really good. Also like the jalepeno stuffed quail. The brisket was pretty good, not amazing. The ribs weren't bad either, again not the best ive had, but far from the worst. But everything there was better than anything you can get at Rudys or Bill Millers. It's worth the stop. I usually stop in on my way up to Cowboys games.

You're getting good BBQ input, so let me add...

While in San Antonio, go to an H.E.B. grocery store. Some days you can find prime brisket mixed in with the select or choice and pretty cheap. They just ended baby backs for $2.49/ld, I think. Anyway, while at H.E.B. Pick up some Julio's Tortilla chips. If you like tortilla chips. May sound like a strange recommendation but they are worth a try.

Also, not too far north of Waco is a town called, West. Exit and get some kolaches. They have sweet and savory types.

If I could stand up, I'd have you over for some BBQ at our home, but these days I have to rely on my son to Q and I don't know his schedule.

Enjoy your visit.

Back