Pre-burning

dmc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Many thanks to Phil for this great site. Job well done.

I have a question for the experts.

I’ve read that some of you pre-burn your wood instead of putting unburned wood directly into the Bandera firebox, thus creating bad smoke.

Are there any techniques that you all can offer for pre-burning? (Knowing this group I’ll probably get the answer to light it in on fire). Do you use charcoal as your heat source to get the wood started (no propane burner available)? Do you let it burn down to red coals?

I picked up a charcoal fired Brinkman Grill King Deluxe from Walmart for $60 and want to use that as my pre-burn box. To hold the coals/wood, I made a 15” x 18” expanded metal box that fits inside the Grill King for good air flow.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

I know, asking how to burn wood is a lot like asking how to boil water, isn’t it!

Thanks

Dwayne

I just pre-heat it on top of the firebox. Same place I keep my mop.

I use smallish pieces of wood - about 8" or so - I keep a small hot fire going,
and with the small pieces, I have plenty of room to put the next pieces inside
the firebox to one side - when I need them, I jest scoot 'em onto the fire, and
put some more in to pre-heat/dry. It's not pre-burning, but it seems to work.

Cheers,

PJ

i dont preburn either. I pre heat. Just lay the logs on top of the firebox till ya need them. A super hot log will ignite as soon as it goes in. I dont really thing ya need to preburn for the bandera. its a hassle and buys ya nothing. I did it early on and it was more hassle than it was worth. i think its more for the BIG pits when your usig whole logs. But for splits and chunks, not necessary.

The only wood that I actually preburn is mesquite, because it can really be nasty if you get a green peice in with the rest. My technique if you want to call it that, it to burn the mesquite in the chimanea and then transfer glowing coals to the firebox of the bandera. It is a lot of work, but the temps in the bandera stay rock steady, and ribs and brisket are out of this world when done this way--lots of mesquite flavor without feeling like you need to scrape bitteness off your tongue.

Back