Thigh knuckles: Cut 1, 2, or both?

Pruning shears? Like I use to trim my plants in the garden?

I've heard about using pruning shears before too. I got myself a nice pair of OXO poultry shears though. Some of the bones still crack when using them.

Pruning shears? Like I use to trim my plants in the garden?

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to buy a pair of dog toenail trimmers like these. I'm thinking they would cut chicken bones very cleanly without crushing.
e4aqytam.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to buy a pair of dog toenail trimmers like these. I'm thinking they would cut chicken bones very cleanly without crushing.
e4aqytam.jpg

Not even close. I use a pair like that on my bullmastiffs. Not even the XL pair would touch them.

BTW I have never cracked one with a butcher's knife. With the right technique... butta.

Not even close. I use a pair like that on my bullmastiffs. Not even the XL pair would touch them.

BTW I have never cracked one with a butcher's knife. With the right technique... butta.

Are you saying they don't open wide enough? Or that they won't cut the bone?

Last edited:
Yes, pruning shears...like those in the garden....cuts through the bone with ease. It works for me.

I once had a problem with thigh bones splintering, so I asked Bobby Cresap of Team BobbyQ what was going on. He explained to me that cheap chicken that has been pumped with hormones to speed growth will do this because the bones haven't had sufficient time to mature. The bird is made to put on meat as fast as possible, and few consumers care anything about the bones.

Sure enough we had switched to cheap family pack chicken that week because we couldn't find our usual organic chix. Moral of the story - if you cut bones, buy the good stuff.

I've tried both ways. I seem to get a more uniform appearance with the knuckles cut off. I've never heard about the marrow leaking out and giving a bitter taste...something to think about.

Judged last weekend. Got a leaky marrow bone chicken. Didn't look good from the end, but didn't see it until after appearance judging so it didn't matter. Didn't eat the whole thing (1 bite each side), so any bitterness on the end wouldn't matter either. I don't get the little square thighs though.

Back