I got wood

SmokinSlowPoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Damn proud of it :biggrin1:.

Speaking of wood, I stopped in to Danny Edwards BBQ down on Southwest Blvd to pick up my traditional Friday Smokey Joe (Burnt end sandwich) & fries and decided to ask the guy taking my order what type of wood they burned out back. He seemed pretty excited to tell me Hickory because of how consistently it puts out flavor but I thought I would share. Since I started smoking my own Que its crazy how much more respenct I have for places that put out a good consistent product.

Do you guys have any secret wood pairings you would like to share with a green-horn?

This sounds like a topic for "The Wood Pile". :biggrin1:

I've been using red oak recently. It's mild, I like it. :grin:

I am very specific in my likings
pork-apple wood
beef-bourbon barrel oak
chicken-pecan

If you like the smell of pecan, bourbon barrel wood will really make you happy. Boioioing!!!!

@Yendor for Xmas my future brother in law got me a bag of Jack Daniels Bourbon Barrel wood chips. I havent used them yet but they smell delicious. Have you ever tried them?

Mostly oak around here, but when I get it I like pecan or hickory with the oak.
In my electric cooker I use pellets a lot with the AMAZNP and use cherry or apple along with oak.

I am very specific in my likings
pork-apple wood
beef-bourbon barrel oak
chicken-pecan

If you like the smell of pecan, bourbon barrel wood will really make you happy. Boioioing!!!!

Must be a Minnesota thing :crazy:
But I agree :grin:

I second the pecan cherry mix. I go 50/50 when cooking either pork or chicken. I've only done one brisket so far, so I can't really speak to what I prefer with beef. Unlike my other Minnesota brethren, I haven't tried the Jack Daniels wood yet, although it has come highly recommended by several of my neighbors.

Strictly Orange wood so far, 100% wood burn, no charcoal. Been eyeing some Olive across the way to try on chicken though.

For me it works like this,all are free to me these are the wood species i have available.

* hickory* cherry * apple * oak * maple

All pork products get 100% hickory.

All fish and poultry get a 50/50 mix of apple and cherry.

All beef products get a mix of oak,apple a little hickory.

Hickory, apple and maple (50:25:25) for pork.

Cherry for fish (divine for salmon!)

Apple and cherry with a little mesquite for fowl.

Mesquite and hickory for beef.

Thanks for all the comments, seems I need to branch out a little with my wood stock. Guess you never know when you are going to need wood

Pallet wood pine.

Just kidding.

Apple on ribs and other slow 'n low cooks.

Mesquite on steak, salmon and other fast cooks.

I agree on respect for places that do it up good every time.

I also agree that good wood is always needed.

My wife loves her Zumba and gym work and has an assortment of jeans that keep my interest......

Back