• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lessons from the forum-My first Fatty

Fastball

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
As a new member to this forum, I'm sure that I will learn a great deal of lessons from the group, but maybe not any as important as the "fatty".

I've been cooking low and slow, in my own little world, for over 10 years. How could I have not known about this little piece of heaven. I obviously need to get out more.

Anyway...Thanks to all of you for your suggestions on how to cook it (I looked at the old threads regarding the fatty). I chose to try the 3-2-1 method (actually did 3-2-.5, with the .5 in a cooler). I used regular JD and stuffed it with cream cheese and a fiesta cheese blend along with crumbled bacon and sauteed onions, garlic, and jalapenos.

You can see by the picture that there was a little bit of a blow out, but the end result was no less that awesome. So thanks for the lesson.

Attachments

• fatty.JPG
    fatty.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 200
6 hours for a fatty? :shock:

I guess I should explain that. I was doing an 18 hour cook (pork shoulder) and was also smoking about 20lbs of bologna, so I had tuned the vertical part of my smoker to about 160-180. So the fatty was done after 3 hours at 225, but then I wrapped it and moved it to the vertical along with the bologna for about 2 hours. I'm sure I didn't need to do that, but I know others have done the 3-2-1 method with fatties. It was my first one and doing it that way, I was sure that it would come off the smoker at the same time that everything else did.

The .5 in the cooler is because I always hold everything in a cooler for 30 minutes.

No need to apologize for a 3-2-1 fatty. As I have said before... I will do them no other way. Some may question... but for me it works!!!

Congrats on your initiation bro...

From the looks of the posted picture your are a fatty natural!

Great looking job. But, like norco, I want slice pictures.

:biggrin:Hello my name is Aarom and I am a fattty addict. I would suggest trying the chorizo, poblano, pepper jack stuffed version. Looks great! Must try your recipe now.

Looks Delicious!

I do 2-2-1 on fatties (at 225 degrees) and that seems to be about right for me. Add lots of apple juice when I foil them.

Yours looks wonderful. As long as the temp internally kills the germs, it doesn't matter how long you cook it as long as you don't burn it. I've had some that were done in 2 hours and some that took 4 hours.

Look at that thing!! Oh YAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

It is amazing to me how such a simple fatty will get the most comments. I have had friend and family not believe me when I tell them what it is and how I made it.
LONG LIVE THE FATTY !!

You will be hooked on the FATTY for ever it needs to be done with every slow cook you do

Back