My Drunk Uncle's Sticky Pickles

He has a simple recipe for those of you who can't follow along.

You take a jar of maraschino cherries, drain the liquid, leave the cherries, and fill it with Everclear. Let it sit for a while. If you want a good night, eat some cherries, if you want a bad morning, drink the liquid.

A little big of Everclear added to the discarded liquid is pretty good too.

That would be Cool, but, as you speculated, the PO has a 50/50 chance running that anything glass WILL be broken by the time it's delivered to my doorstep. :roll:

The Krogers carries thems here deguerre. They just aint with the fancy Claussen in the fridgeratedededed section.

I would be lying if I said I did not check what forum I was in before clicking the link.

+1 ^^^ I saw it in the new posts section and looked to the right to see if
I was gonna look :laugh:

Thanks Bob those do sound really good

That would be Cool, but, as you speculated, the PO has a 50/50 chance running that anything glass WILL be broken by the time it's delivered to my doorstep. :roll:

If you ditch the brine anyway, ditch the jar. Food saver the pickles and ship.

Cheers

Hey Wampus, you should try these if you want a spicy and addictive BBQ pickle side.

YeloNUTZ' Sticky Pickles (John Chips)

To make your own batch you'll need the following ingredients:

One gallon of whole dill pickles
Four pounds of sugar
Two ounces of Red Pepper sauce like Tabasco or Trappys (I now use Lucky Dog)
One twelve ounce can of jalapeno slices (John uses more, maybe 18-20 ounces and some of the juice)

Drain the pickles and discard the sour brine.
Cut the pickles into slices or spears or whatever suits you.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, Red Pepper sauce and the jalapenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickle slices back into the jar untill it's all in there which takes a little pushin' and packin' towards the end.

During the next couple of hours, turn the jar over every few minutes to agitate the sugar and help it dissolve.

The pickles will give up enough new brine to totally dissolve the sugar over the next couple of hours. Stick'em in the 'fridge and in a couple of days they'll be ready!

They should stay refrigerated.

I cheat and use pre-sliced dill pickle slices, get good ones. For the record, Bread and Butter does not work. I like to flip the jar over a few times over a few days. It helps mix things.

20 oz jar of jalapeños and all the juice. I also add a teaspoon of cayenne. The cherries have been changed to Vodka because of to many weenies said the ever clear burnt too much. The are named (drumroll…) Cherry Bombs. NUTZ

I'm normally not much of a pickle guy but that sounds pretty good! I've got some friends comin out this weekend and will have to try that.

Made a batch minutes after reading the post. Could not wait longer so I sampled them today and they are fantastic! Local stores only had 80 oz jars so had to modify the amounts (2.5 lb sugar, 15.5 oz jalapenos, 1.5-2 oz pepper sauce). Thanks for a great recipe....:clap2:

I can report firsthand that these are really delicious. Made some up a couple days ago and they are fantastic! Thanks Bob! :clap2:

What! A pickle thread and I missed it?

I am NEVER going on vacation again!

Well... OK... Maybe not never. At least not before the end of the year.

The pickles do sound good. I will have to try them!

If you haven't tried the Holy Smoke BBQ Pickles, give them a try! Like bread and butter pickles, but with some heat.

http://www.holysmokellc.com/products/

I know that they are available at theBBQsuperstore.com, a Brethren owned business, and maybe others.

I loved the pickles, but the wife found them too hot for her liking. It was my fault. I made a half-gallon batch and used the same amount of jalapenos as for a gallon batch.

I also will slice the pickles in thick slices next time, as they tend to shrivel a bit due to the osmosis of fluids. I bet sliced onions would be good in this as well.

That said, the pickles are already gone. Yum. :grin:

I agree on the onions. I don't know about pickle juice in chili. Maybe, but, I have never added vinegar to chili before

Back