Ordering a new pit/which options?

renoram

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Im gonna order a new pit from pitsbyjj tomorrow. A 24x60. If your budget only allowed for only one which would you choose... tuning plates or a half inch firebox? I will probably never use all the space in it at once so maybe a 24x48 and get both options. :confused: What do you think?

Get the thicker firebox. You can always get scrap steel and make your own tuning plates, but once that 1/4" firebox is on there, it isn't an easy or cheap upgrade to a 1/2". Stick with the 24x60, if you go to the smaller cooker you'll always wish you had the extra space the larger one provides.

Get both options and the larger pit. That is what you want to get or you wouldn't be asking.

Buy once, cry once.

1/2" firebox and a bottle opener.

I would go with the Fire box you can add tuning plates latter as the budget permits.

The way I look at big purchases is to get up front what would be hard to upgrade at a later date. For a house, it is easier to add fancy new counter tops at a later date, but is relatively harder to add additional square footage.

In your case, I think I agree with NRA4Life. It seems like it would be easier to upgrade the tuning plates at a later date, but relatively more difficult to upgrade your fire box.

Disclaimer: I don't have a fancy smoker yet. I'm just a simple UDS guy for now, so I've got no real world experience in this particular matter.

I agree with those suggesting the firebox. It's the part that gets the most abuse. 1/2" will last forever.

+1 on the firebox u can add plates later and for cheaper im sure

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

another vote for a 1/2" firebox. will help with keeping fire temps consistant in cold,winds and rain.

Yeah, you gotta go for the firebox. Betcha can't wait to get it ordered and delivered!

I'd go with the firebox upgrade. Are you ordering the trailer unit? Can you give me a ballpark on JJ's price for that unit? I emailed them but didn't hear back.

Why do you think you need a 1/2 box Reno? I could swear we went through this a few years ago with your Gator Pit.

1/4 box and tuning plates. 1/2 box in not need in our area.

Back