• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza Stones, BGE vs Sur La Table vs Rest Supply?

I have the Lodge CI pizza pan and love it. (Actually, I have two.) Shop around though, the link Tish sent shows them for $59.99. I got mine through Amazon, but I paid around $35 or $40 per pan.

I've had the Primo stone for at least a year without any issues. I think it was about $60.

One think that might be worth considering is having a stone cut from 3/4 inch countertop scrap granite. I bought one off a guy on CL and it's served me really well in the oven and at temps up to 600 degrees. So far I have 3 years of regular cooking on it and there's no sign of cracking anywhere.

One side is polished, which is the side that goes down, and the rough unfinished side is your cooking surface.

$99 seems expensive. I got my xl stone from a BGE store for $75. Definitely worth it.

Yeah, I'm rapidly finding I don't care for this authorized dealer all that much. When I was shopping they gave me a "we just heard that prices are increasing on March 1st" speil. None of the other authorized dealers I called had heard anything like and when I was in there two days ago the prices were all the same. I was planning on buying the day I did anyways, afterwards it felt like a slippery sales tactic.

All their accessories are dramatically higher too.. basic nest wing shelves $180, stone $100, 20lbs bag of bge lump $38.

I never even thought to look for a cast iron one, so that's probably the route I'll go as I love cooking on CI stuff.

Thanks for the input all!

Yeah, I'm rapidly finding I don't care for this authorized dealer all that much. When I was shopping they gave me a "we just heard that prices are increasing on March 1st" speil. None of the other authorized dealers I called had heard anything like and when I was in there two days ago the prices were all the same. I was planning on buying the day I did anyways, afterwards it felt like a slippery sales tactic.

All their accessories are dramatically higher too.. basic nest wing shelves $180, stone $100, 20lbs bag of bge lump $38.

I never even thought to look for a cast iron one, so that's probably the route I'll go as I love cooking on CI stuff.

Thanks for the input all!

If you do decide to go CI, the brethren are right about it going for less elsewhere. Shop around, and you'll get a great price, I'm sure. Even for the price I paid, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :thumb:

I'm curious if anyone is using firebrick in place of a pizza stone.

P1010788-PP.JPG

These are 1 1/4" thick. I'm sure they will take longer than a proper pizza stone to heat up, but I can get them over 500°F in a Weber kettle. I used a CI tortilla griddle in the cook above because I didn't have a peel and it worked OK. I have a peel now and the next pizza will go directly on the firebrick. These were $15 at Menards.

Cooking the pizzas directly on the firebrick was less than fully successful. The top of the brick hit about 680°F and the lid thermometer read about 500°F. That resulted in some charring of the crust w/out browning the cheese on top. It was still good, but not good enough. I did the second and third pies on the tortilla griddles and they came out good. The CI helps to moderate the neat from the fire brick on the bottom providing sufficient time for the top to cook fully.

P1010815-PP.JPG

Also check this out: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-4461-16-Inch-Oven/product-reviews/B0000E19MW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Old Stone 4461 16-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone[/ame]

I have been thinking about getting one. Overall reviews seem positive.

I have two CI round/griddle 12 inch from academy sports I think they were 12 bucks each, one is a pizza stone the other is my diffuser plate. I LOVE that Lodge CI think I might be making a Easter list for wally world :wink:

Gasket no longer looks like that lol
20121228_134814_HDR.jpg

I spent nothing on ours, it is just some TJ Maxx/Tuesday Morning/etc. special that someone gave us as a wedding present. Nothing at all special to it, but 17 years later it is still going strong. It has been in the oven and the Big Steel Keg and been fine. Admittedly, I have never run it over 750 degrees, but it stood up to that with no issues.

I've cooked hundreds of pizzas on my bubba keg. For a long time I used a diffuser and stone at 550 degrees. I was in Bed Bath and Beyond with my wife and saw an airbake pizza pan (a round pan with a bunch of holes in it). I decided to give it a try. I have found I like it more than using a stone.

I set up the grill with a diffuser. I build my pizza on a piece of parchment paper and slide it onto the pizza pan. Then throw it on the grill at 550. It seems like this setup is a little more forgiving and I get pretty good crust every time.

Back