what is your greatest BBQ accomplishment?

My Pitmaster slept in one morning and I cooked our brisket upside down and scored a 180 - that was good, but....
Our 40th anniversay - 2012 Ameila Island - my wife and I cooked as Chicken Butt BBQ. It was the first competition on our Jambo (only the second time we cooked on it) and the first time we cooked by ourselves. We had a 5th ribs, 6th brisket and 5th overall out of 41 teams.
It wasn't winning the Jack or the Royal but it was a great experience!

As far as competition is concerned, getting a GC in my 5th competition. That allowed me to go to the Jack that year where I was able to get a 3rd place call in Chicken.

Outside of competition; Our local guard unit was heading to Afghanistan so a friend and I cooked a sendoff picnic for them and their families right before they deployed(about 800 people total)

I have been cooking contests for many, many years and have had a lot of awards and crowning achievements along the way only missing one illusive award, the GC. The last couple of years I have focused solely on hitting that GC and lost touch of what BBQ is about.
To be honest, it wasn’t all that much fun. I needed a re-boot of sorts at the end of this year to purge my system of that insane desire. I say insane because I was not remembering why I started BBQ’ing in the first place.
Having a great time with friends and making new ones. That’s what it’s all about. Awards are an object that sets on the self and collects dust. Friends are what have lasted these many years. The BBQ Family is the best and it grows larger every year.

So far, taking 5th place in chicken at The Jack tops my list so far.

Looking to the future, the goal is to win a GC for my team.

I once cooked BBQ at a Holiday Inn Express! Seriously, cool question.

I think for Dizzy Pig, this year may have been our biggest accomplishment. in 2005 and 2006 we won 8 or 9 grands just doing 10 contests a year. It was a sweet time. But it has been tough since then (hats off to teams like 3Eyz who are nailing it it a very tough time).

Anyways, this year, for the first time in ten years, we did well in both the Royal Open and the Invitational. Chicken calls both days, and overall scores very nice. I'm feeling that may be our coolest accomplishment.

How far do we want to take it??? We'd be happy to stay in the mix. No longer expecting multiple grands per year, but would make me complete just to be able to stay in the game. Tough job these days!

Cheers, and hope to see a bunch of yall on the trail this year.
Chris

I invented the drum smoker... since everything since is not a drum smoker.... even though its a drum and it smokes.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E4KJQ1dN-W4"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4KJQ1dN-W4[/ame]

I think it was easier to win the first GC then it the ones since. Biggest accomplishment will be when one of the BBQ buddies I have talked into building their own cookers wins on it .

In 2011 I cooked Westmont's amateur rib comp agaist a field of roughly 40 teams. It was the second time I had ever cooked comps egged on by my kids. As they were calling the top ten they had finished the top 9 with first to be called and I looked over to my daughter and she looked back at me and said "you've got this dad", I was then called for the win. The win felt great but not half as good as knowing the support I had from my family and freinds that all stood in the rain to hear the results.

The following weekend I cooked my first pro comp in Willowbrook, Il. I was certainly over my head but had great support and guidence from my buddie Scottie. I had 3 calls with a 1st in ribs. 3rd place overall!!! I was truley taken back by that experience also. I had so many teams come by during that event and offer up support as many new it was my first event. Truely a great group of people.

As an organizer the things I'm proudest of are 1) helping to grow the competition BBQ scene on Long Island, 2) Building the relationships that I have that have transcended BBQ with competitors and judges, 3) being able to help the various charities that we have worked with through the events.

As a competitor, the things that I'm happiest about are spending the time with family at events. I compete with my sister and my niece and we have my parents dropping by, my cousins stopping in, my BiL coming by and we have lots of friends join us. It really sounds corny, but the concern I have over placing is minimal compared to watching my niece carefully prep the meat or how excited she gets if we are lucky enough to get a call or just make something we are happy with.

Corny, but truthful.

Eric

Luckiest accomplishment was taking 1st in ribs in the last KCBS competition in 2009 over the top 3 teams in the USA and a handful of top 50 teams. It took us about two years to "accomplish" that.

As for what our next goal is, well that would be to promote and support sanctioned BBQ competitions here in the state of Hawaii.

2012 was my rookie year and cooking with my wife was quality time for us to get away and spend time with friends. ( we have been CBJ's for 2 years )

Most astonishing moment in my BBQ life was in Liberty IN, our first pro contest and we hear our name called THREE times. 6th Pork, 3rd Brisket and 7th over all out of 31 teams.

We did 8 contests and heard our name called 13 times :) with a 5th in Chicken,1st in Ribs 9th in Brisket and 3rd over all at Franklin IN and also a first in Chicken at The Jim Beam Classic in Springfeild KY.

This whole season, we will remember well.

New friendsips made and old ones forged deeper. BBQ people are some of the greatest people in the world!!!!!

Think I'm gonna spend a little time with Scottie Johnson also.

Getting kicked out of the American royal 2011 after only being there 6 hours for boosting a security guards golf cart, then booking down to fayetville AR. And winning $650...woot!

This was our first year, and I was thrilled to get a GC, but that's not our greatest accomplishment. All the great folks we have met and friends we have made, having a great time with my family. Finding out that I'm not the only one crazy about BBQ.

Without a doubt its enjoyment that I have received from teaching my kids. When my son (8) asked me for smoker for Christmas. And my little girl (6) asked for a grill. To cook with them and go to competitions with them, but most of all when we walked at Pigs and Peaches Backyard and the whole family was there. Look at the PRIDE in those kids. Man that's whats its all about for me.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

IMG_3699.jpg

Passion

Seeing my Son in law Kenny, My coworker and good friend Kevin and my Brother Scott catch the passion I have for BBQ was very kewl. Watching them pass this passion to others makes me know that BBQ nation is strong and growing. Did I say I love everything Barbecue?

Having my wife tell me how much fun this BBQ thing is and have her excited about our team and the next contest.

Then surprise me with a trip to the cooking school in March.

What a women!

In my first competition my team finished with the "best" worst position, if that makes any sense. Finished sixth with our worse being an 8th in chicken and every other team finished worse than 8th any one category.

Back