• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Thanks for the bump Wampus. Thawed an 18 lb bird last night using the cold water method and have been debating a brine since its enhanced. Planned on cooking it today with no brine to avoid saltiness but after reading the roadmap on the issue I'm going to brine it for tomorrow instead.

I have a 17 pounder going in the BWS tomorrow for a test. I have been smoking turkey for 30 years but want to see how the Party cooks a turkey. I have never brined my turkey and they are always super moist.

Spatchcock or not? DISCUSS!!

You know....I've never spatched a turkey. I have always opted NOT to do this because of the presentation factor for the holidays and all. I brined a bird yesterday and I think I'll spatchcock it for today's cook just for chits and giggles!

I have a 17 pounder going in the BWS tomorrow for a test. I have been smoking turkey for 30 years but want to see how the Party cooks a turkey. I have never brined my turkey and they are always super moist.

I absolutely don't think that you CANNOT get a moist bird without brining, but I have done side by side cooks (with chickens) more than once and the one that is brined is ALWAYS more juicy. I just think that brining can only IMPROVE the moisture and flavor level of the bird, that's all.

This past spring, I did one that ended up being done WAY earlier than I planned......mainly because I'd let the smoker temp get way up to 450! Anyway, it was done in 2 hours and I still hadn't made the taters, gravy and other sides. If I recall, I held in in the pan, foiled for about 2 hours and it was still nice and hot when I carved it. You should be fine.

If you are coolering it, you should REALLY be OK. I'm assuming you're gonna carve it when you get where you're going? That's what I would do if it were me.

Just a fyi, if you hold it too long, more than 45 min or so, skin will be rubbery.

I just picked up a 14# frozen turkey from the supermarket today for a test run next weekend, the big day bird will be a fresh one, but this will do for my test. Has anyone used SM pecan rub on a turkey? I think I'm going to give that a go.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

You know....I've never spatched a turkey. I have always opted NOT to do this because of the presentation factor for the holidays and all. I brined a bird yesterday and I think I'll spatchcock it for today's cook just for chits and giggles!

So... how did it turn out?

Webers instructions on cooking a turkey on a kettle. There is included a different way, at least to me, to brine. It uses a cooler and compensates for not having the right size container

How to Barbecue a turkey
Excerpt from Weber’s Charcoal Grilling: The art of cooking with live fire
http://c501793.r93.cf2.rackcdn.com/Barbecue-Turkey.pdf

I'll be doing two this year, on the Big Easy. "It's gas, not que... blah blah", it makes a darn fine bird.

For the last 4 years I do two turkeys on the kettles. A few techniques that I find helpful.

1) Brine: I start brining the morning before and then pull the birds out and rinse thoroughly on Weds. evening. They then go into the fridge uncovered overnight. This not only lets the brine to distribute evenly but also dries the skin which leads to a nice crispy skinned bird.

2) Aromatics: I stuff the cavities, both rear and the neck cavity, with lemon, onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. It imparts a really wonderful flavor to the breast meat.
WP_000229.jpg

3) Butter, butter and more butter!: I mix up a compound butter using unsalted butter and some fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary. I let this soften and then smear it liberally under the skin all over the bird, including down on the thighs which you can reach with a little work. I then smear it all over the outside of the skin as well. Nothing goes together better than poultry skin and butter. Not only does it add flavor but also helps with browning and crisping.
WP_000230.jpg

4) Grill set-up: I fill two chimney baskets as full as possible with lit briquettes and set them on either side of the kettle as far aparts as possible I will then add 1 small chunk of wood to each. I use a small amount of wood as I don't like a heavy smoke flavor in my turkey, just enough to let my guests know that it was grilled. I then rest a drip pan between the two baskets, I have a pan that has a lip that can rest steadily right on the front edge of each charcoal basket so that it sits elevated above the charcoal grate and just below that cooking great.

I run the kettles WFO and try to get the highest temp possible, I've never taken a grate temp, but I would guess that I'm running in the 375-400 range. I'll add another 6-7 briqs to each side about halfway through cooking.

5) Breast side down!: I start my birds breast side down and then flip it over about 45 minutes in. This is a bit unconventional, but it serves 2 purposes.
a) It allows the entire bird to brown, you don't get a soggy bottom and pale thighs and because the bottom is nice and brown it increases the amount of skin available for serving.
b) As the bird starts to cook the juices run down into the breast. I don't know if there is any scientific basis for this, but I read about it somewhere a long time ago, decided to try it and have always been very pleased with the results

Onto the grill
WP_000233.jpg

After the flip
WP_000234.jpg

WP_000236.jpg

The birds are usually done around 3hrs, then come off and rest until everything else is ready which could be anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.
WP_000238.jpg

WP_000239.jpg

I told the wife that I would do a bird on the Weber this year, she will still roast one in the oven just in case, LOL. I will probably only do a 12 pounder, brine the night before, rub with butter herb and stuff with garlic, apples, etc. Hopefully everything will go well.

Does anyone cover the bird with foil to keep the skin from burning or shouldn't I worry about that? I do want a nice crisp skin but don't want to overdue it.

Back