• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My home made baffle

The metal baffle will eventually assume the temp of the heat source.

Where are your thermostats in relation to grill level? I've seen some weird locations for them on some smokers even from the factory. It's good that you have more accurate t'stats now. I would mount a dial type t'stat no more than 3" above the grill surface maybe using 2 or even 3 depending on the size of your smoker.

The rest will be fire control. Add more fuel as needed but not too much etc. That rig should have a sweet spot. Once you find it, it's ON.

Just my .02

You need to weld a lip on that so it rests on top of the screws.Here is what mine looks like. I have the same OK Joe. I got this from Horizon smokers.

Attachments

• smoker mod 2.jpg
    smoker mod 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 77
Well I'm using dual digital remote thermos the 732 something. I have one i'4of the way fromthefirebox in the middle and the other one 1/4 away from the chimney. Leaks were all fixed and I was still getting a good 50 degrees hotter by the fire box. I'm sure it's because the metal is so thin, it has actually turned blue so that sucker is radiating heat like no body's business. I should have used 1/4 steel. What I have done now is custom cut one of those silver thermo fire resistant blankets and placed it on where it was turning blue. It looks like I'm now down to 20 degrees between two sides. I was afraid to shorten the length of the baffle in fear the side next to the fire box would get any hotter. It's looking like I have a 30 degree difference between the two sides now. Fire box being hotter. Is that acceptable? What kind of degree temps are people getting from the plates from horizon?

Well I just added the thermo blanket to see what it did. I doubled it making it an r value of 4 to 8. I'm now sitting at 250 12" from the fire box and 214 12" from the chimney. The thermo blanket is coming off, it's not meant for that long. I sure hate to have to order from longhorn and wait freaking 3-4 weeks for a "non stock" item term heat
Keep in mind I used to be 250 by the chimney and 350+ by the fire box.(note to self: nickle holding up as dollar)

Well I just added the thermo blanket to see what it did. I doubled it making it an r value of 4 to 8. I'm now sitting at 250 12" from the fire box and 214 12" from the chimney. The thermo blanket is coming off, it's not meant for that long. I sure hate to have to order from longhorn and wait freaking 3-4 weeks for a "non stock" item term heat
Keep in mind I used to be 250 by the chimney and 350+ by the fire box.(note to self: nickle holding up as dollar)

Fire rated calk might work with a sheet metal cover and bottom.

im sure you could get some 1/4 stock cut to length at a metal yard for less than the horizon baffle and not have to wait for it

I welded mine up but have not fired it up get. wont be till next week to try it

I am at my cabin now in N Mich snowmobiling. I am getting ready to throw a 9 lb butt on my WSM clone, then hit the trails!!!

Well I finally cut some 18" pieces of angle and laid them like ^^^ on the 45 degree part that has the most heat and I got it down to a 20 degree difference. seems kinda like some of the angle reflects the heat back to the firebox.. I've basically gonefrom150 degree difference down to 20 degree difference so it some improvement.. I made my baffle the same dimmensions as the horizon one but 18g steel was my enemy. I see horizon uses 3/16".. I have some 12"x12" squares from another project. My horizontal band saw stock opening isn't 12" wide enough and I don't think my old vertical is up for cutting 1/4. I'll stop tweaking it and smoke something on sun before I go any further.

Sounds like you are there

I would be happy with a 20 degree difference. most foods wont know the difference anyway

the angle iron is a good idea.

Back