A bit surprised!!!!

Dyce51

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My family has tried several times to get me to compete in BBQ comps and Rib Burnoffs. I have always said no to them. I love my ribs and BBQ but there's always someone better...ya know what I mean. Well my wife and daughter entered me in a local Rib Burnoff on the 4th of July!! Looks like I'll be in my FIRST Rib Competition!!! (I have entered my homemade BBQ sauces in a few Sauce Competitions and have done pretty good on that end but never had my BBQ judged!!!)

you will do fine. you will be hooked afterwards. work off a spreadsheet and you will be fine. allow yourself extra time. rushing at the end sucks.

We wish you well. Let us know how it turns out. I am sure you will do well.

Now that's true love!

+1 you will be hooked after this. Just do what you do, and don't be surprised if you don't score well. Competitions are a whole other beast. They're not looking for what the people who show up to your house think is good - they have different criteria.

If you do well - share your secrets :icon_smile_tongue:

The big thing is to have fun cooking. Allow for extra time, as you will end up using it.

I agree, definitely allow for extra time, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get off track and mess up your timing. Make a schedule and stick to it the best you can.

She doesn't know just how expensive of a decision that was...but she'll find out. Good luck and have fun!

I did my first rib cook off a few weeks back. My advice: cook for yourself. Make the ribs how you would make them at home. You will find that others cooking around you are going to be new(er) at making ribs. For example, the guy that was set up next to me refused to add wood to his pit until the last hour. As my mother would say, "It takes all kinds." Good luck!

that's how I got started with this crazy addiction rib contest finished 2nd I was hooked that was 2 yrs ago am now a kcbs judge I compete own 4 pits and as they said you will meet some of the nicest people in the world have fun and welcome to the addiction:boxing:

Back