First brisket - questions

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to do my first brisket, I have done many pork butts and getting good doing them, no complaints yet :)

I usally put the rub on the meat the night before the cook, should I do this or just apply it right before I put it in the smoker?

I am starting it Friday night to be done on Saturday, normally the pork takes about 8 hours how long should I expect the beef to take I am thinking 12+.

When should I wrap? 160 like my pork

What internal temp do need to get to? I would like to slice it

Thanks for any help.[/img]

Good to see you back Char. Another day and you'd need to head to Cattle Call to reintroduce yourself...

I prefer to add the rub the night before, or if using a marinade 24-36 hours in advance. As for the cook time I can't help you since you never told us how much the brisket weighs :wink: I usually figure 1:15-1:30/lb. Add an hour or two for time in the cooler, and work backwards from desired serving time. Wrapping is a personal preference, as well as when to do it.

Internal temp: I start checking around 180, and usually don't pull until 190-195 so that it's nice and tender. If a probe slides into the flat easily with little resistance it's time to get it into the cooler.

You can find a ton of info and opinion on cooking a brisket in the Roadmap section above. Take a look at that and then fire away with any additional questions you may have.

Thanks Jorge,

I have been reading like crazy, that is why I have not posted in a while.

I have read a few threads and the roadmap.

I am not sure how many lbs it is but cost about $13 for whole thing.

I also use the probe check with my pork butt, but if it slides in easy, will this cause the meat to shread when sliced?

I am trying to get in a couple of good cooks be for my surger, not sure about eating tough food for a while the doc told me I had a tumor in my neck right under my ear and jaw bone, no cancer in biopsy, but will be off work for a week then taking another week for vacation.

Re: RE: First brisket - questions

chargriller said:
Thanks Jorge,

I have been reading like crazy, that is why I have not posted in a while.

I have read a few threads and the roadmap.

I am not sure how many lbs it is but cost about $13 for whole thing.

I also use the probe check with my pork butt, but if it slides in easy, will this cause the meat to shread when sliced?

I am trying to get in a couple of good cooks be for my surger, not sure about eating tough food for a while the doc told me I had a tumor in my neck right under my ear and jaw bone, no cancer in biopsy, but will be off work for a week then taking another week for vacation.

Divide 13 by the price you paid per lb. and you have your weight.

If you follow the general directions in the Roadmap section you should get a tnder and juicy brisket. Slicing ACROSS the grain of the meat will help with the tenderness. If you slice with the grain you will have long, stringy fibers that won't seem quite as tender.

Glad to hear that the tumor wasn't malignant, and nothing but the best wishes for a smooth procedure and speedy recovery :!:

RE: Re: RE: First brisket - questions

Glad to hear that the tumor wasn't malignant, and nothing but the best wishes for a smooth procedure and speedy recovery
Same here.

I wrap around 160 and start probe testing at 180. Of course at the competition the briskit was stuck at 177 for a few hours and never made it to 180. It sliced and tugged perfectly. Took 6th out of 45.

And I like to spray every 20 minutes in addition to a sweeter rub to increase bark formation.

Before wrapping (as it is laying on the open foil on the table) spray the sheet out of it.

Now I want brisket.

Taking a 6.5# flat out of the freezer tonight.

Thanks guys this helps a lot, sort of sounds like my pork butt, on cooking and temp.

I will give it a whirl and let you know how things turn out.

I am also wishing for a speedy recovery aslo, thanks.

Jorge has you covered!

Good luck on your brisket. That cut of meat is the most challenging and most rewarding cut to perfect.

Rub no less then 4 hours in advance, preferably overnight, Smoke at 225 till 160-170, wrap till internal hits 190. Toss it in a cooler still wrapped(competitions), use an alto sham or hot box if catering (coolers with meat is not very good on the eyes), or if at home let it rest on the counter top to allow the meat to recapitulate the juices, then slice against the grain.

Yummy!

Sounds good.

You guys give great advice, that is why I am not to scared to cook this :)

I never for sure know when to start eating the meat after it has been in the cooler, I wait till my pork comes down to 140 or so, is this to low?

After letting sit in the cooler what temp do I bring down to, so I can start eating? or do you just wait 1 or 2 hours then dig in?

12 1/2 pounder is a good size. Count on a cook of nearly 14 hours at 215-225 degrees. Unless you have enough room in the frig once you rub the meat down, just do it right before you put it on the smoker. It's gonna be there for 12-18 hours so it will have plenty of time to self marinate. Put the meat on the smoker cold and it will produce a nice smoke ring. I always put fat side down helping to keep the meat from drying out. Many folks go fat side up, thinking that the dripping fat will moisting the meat. Well it does, as the bottom over cooks. Also I never spritz my brisket either. I'll wrap it about 165 degrees and put it in the cooler for a couple of hours. Follow these easy tips and you'll have a very nice, moist and flavorful brisket.

txpgapro said:
12 1/2 pounder is a good size. Count on a cook of nearly 14 hours at 215-225 degrees. Unless you have enough room in the frig once you rub the meat down, just do it right before you put it on the smoker. It's gonna be there for 12-18 hours so it will have plenty of time to self marinate. Put the meat on the smoker cold and it will produce a nice smoke ring. I always put fat side down helping to keep the meat from drying out. Many folks go fat side up, thinking that the dripping fat will moisting the meat. Well it does, as the bottom over cooks. Also I never spritz my brisket either. I'll wrap it about 165 degrees and put it in the cooler for a couple of hours. Follow these easy tips and you'll have a very nice, moist and flavorful brisket.

This sounds like the perfect plan....I'd go with this advice anyday!

I rubbed the brisket last night and ready to go in the smoker some time tonight.

I plan on staying up most of the night, should be a nice cool night to sit outside and smoke and drink :D

I will try to post some picts if I remember to take them.

chargriller said:
I rubbed the brisket last night and ready to go in the smoker some time tonight.

I plan on staying up most of the night, should be a nice cool night to sit outside and smoke and drink :D

I will try to post some picts if I remember to take them.

All night, schmoaking and drinking under the stars...

Envy Mod

Good luck!

That is the plan, tonight low's are to be in the low 50's 8)

If it was not for this group, I might not have even tired it, but with great advice at a drop of a hat, you can't go wrong.

Hope to drop some photos on later, not sure dam computer at home has a virus :evil:

How do you all eat your brisket? Sauce or Plain

I was sort of thinking of some type of dipping liquid like aujus like what you use with prime rib.

Anyone know how to make it or if you can get a store bought version?

Oak and hickory are my favorites for brisket. I'll add a little mesquite now and then. That being said I've never tried apple with brisket. I just don't think of apple and brisket together but I'm sure someone with more access to apple will have some experience to share with you.

Back