• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Injecting Brisket

RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

I used to try to inject brisket (or any beef product for that matter) and had little luck. Like others, the meat is too dense (in my opinion) and most, if not all, of the marinade will come out imeadiatly. And if any did stay in the meat would leak out shortly after cooking. Poultry of course is fine to inject and pork is so-so. I guess it`s just the density. If any of these meats were cooked properly, injecting really is not needed. JMO.

Now, has anyone used a solid injector? Injecting herbs, garlic, etc,............ Any good? Been wanting one for quite a while, just never seen one in the stores.

frognot said:
What have y'all injectin' folks been injectin' in that brrisket that y'all like best?
Jim Minion's post gives an excellent answer for that question.

In addition:
I (we) have been using FAB B with Beef Broth for the liquid portion.
Full, rich, natural beef tasting results.
David has some new thoughts that we will be using in the future, but this works fine for now.
A lot of folks use their rub (if it does not have large spice peices in it) cut with broth, water, AJ, Fruit Juices, Carbonated Juices, etc, etc.

FAB P works fine also for pork. All of the above variations are also used with success on pork.

Lots of ways to either enhance or modify the flavor as you desire.
Also adding lots of moisture where it does the most good.

Just some thoughts!

TIM

i didnt care for the Fab B at all. IMO, it changed the flavor of the beef. That may be a good thing to some, but it was just to intense for me. ( Jim, I know. Play for the judges, not myself). i tried injecting a few times with other stuff... jsut didnt seem to make such a difference. Hit the brisket right and take it off on time and it wont be dry.

****Added on edit*****.. i spent the weekend with dave klose a few weeks back. We went to a local butcher and got a prime rib. The beef down there had a totally different flavor from what i get up here.. The only way I can describe it is "beefier". I didnt care for it to much becase it was a little to intense.. this was the same reaction I had to Fab B when i injected it.. now, that may be what alot of people(or judges) like. But what im accoustomed to in the north seems to be different from other places.

<standing>Hi... I'm Ron

<everyone> Hi Ron!

I'm from Illinois and I inject my Brisket!

<everyone> hushed gasps

It all started a couple of weeks ago when I read a post on "another discussion forum"

<everyone> more hushed gasps

The poster suggested injecting a mixture of beef broth, rub and garlic into a brisket, and I tried it. The resulting brisket was the best I had ever made. Moist, juicy, tender. I've using this mixture two more times with similar results.

What i have been doing is adding a couple of tablespoons of beef rub and two smashed garlic cloves to one can of salt free beef broth. I bring it to a simmer, turn off the heat and let it sit for 30 mins. then I strain and and cool it before injecting.

Jim - what do you think of pure beef base found at grocers and in spice catalogs? Does this compare to Fab-B? Would it make a good injection product?

ok, call me dense, I still don't understand how you don't get pockets of injection and needle marks. I once injected a turkey with Cajun injection and when I cut into the breast I would cut into pockets filled with spice and herbs. So you say this doesn't happen. I will be trying this out this weekend I quess.

I think you can get pockets of more marinade than others. When injecting however, it is good to pierce the flesh in one spot, and spearing the area in several times thru that one spot before moving on to another area to eliminate many holes in the bird. The thigh can be done with 1 hole. Breast 1 or 2. Etc. Then just hope you got it so it don`t all leak out.

Beef? That`s a b*tch.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Quigley said:
ok, call me dense, I still don't understand how you don't get pockets of injection and needle marks. I once injected a turkey with Cajun injection and when I cut into the breast I would cut into pockets filled with spice and herbs. So you say this doesn't happen. I will be trying this out this weekend I quess.

Guys, it's all about using the right tool and the right technique. Number one on technique is pump it UP - don't skimp. Also, don't use worchestershire, cherry (or any red juice)juice, dark seasonings, etc. These will stain the meat. Don't worry about leakage - but don't blow it out either.

For brisket - inject ALONG the grain (or with the grain) - NOT across it. Really fill up the point and the area under the point where the flat slides up under there.

Then comes tools - the 2 and 4 ounce models are ok but for brisket, butts, turkeys, etc. try this bad boy in the picture. Works like a charm. It'll pump a brisket up like a football and pork butts look like regulation basketballs. It's available from Allied Kenco at www.alliedkenco.com

Now, your mileage may vary - me, I'll inject and see if I can't walk the stage a few times over the next few months.

****Added on edit*****.. i spent the weekend with dave klose a few weeks back. We went to a local butcher and got a prime rib. The beef down there had a totally different flavor from what i get up here.. The only way I can describe it is "beefier". I didnt care for it to much becase it was a little to intense.. this was the same reaction I had to Fab B when i injected it.. now, that may be what alot of people(or judges) like. But what im accoustomed to in the north seems to be different from other places.

Ya hit on something here Phil. I read a while back it has to do with how meat is transported thru the US. Apparently the beef in TX, OK, and some of the other southwest states all goes thru oklahoma at some point where the feed changes. I'll see if I can find the article, but that would explain the difference in taste between a TX brisket and a NY brisket.

BrooklynQ said:

Ya hit on something here Phil. I read a while back it has to do with how meat is transported thru the US. Apparently the beef in TX, OK, and some of the other southwest states all goes thru oklahoma at some point where the feed changes. I'll see if I can find the article, but that would explain the difference in taste between a TX brisket and a NY brisket.

When I traveled the country for GE, the best beef I ate was in states where cattle mostly ate corn. It is not so here, beef is tough here because they eat mostly brown weeds.

tommykendall said:
Jim - what do you think of pure beef base found at grocers and in spice catalogs? Does this compare to Fab-B? Would it make a good injection product?

My thoughts exactly but I am going to have to give it a try with garlic as Ron suggested.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Beef base is very similar to boullion - look out for the sodium. Other than that it works well for lots of things - I've used it as gravy base a few times when I didn't have real "drippings". And no, it's not Fab-B - you could add Fab-B to the reconstituted base.

3900. Breathe, Chad, Breathe

I have cooked a fair number of dry rubbed briskets and injected briskets and brined briskets. the injected and brined briskets win hands down. I actually prefer brined AND injected, but seldom put in the effort. Makes a difference though. As an aside to the fat cap up or down argument, I would like to see the correlation between up/down preference and use of a water pan.

BigAl said:
When I traveled the country for GE, the best beef I ate was in states where cattle mostly ate corn. It is not so here, beef is tough here because they eat mostly brown weeds.

Yep!

I live in farm country. The best beef, or pork for that matter, is the stuff raised for personal eatin, not the product raised for sale to market. Sorry Poo, but that fine eatin stuff in CryOvac comes from somewhere. Corn fed beef is so tender the table knife is not needed for T-bones.

Back on topic. I've got a 12# brisket rubbed for tomorrow's cook and I'm going to inject it with a mix of Jim Beam,Au Jus, garlic powder, butter, and contemplating on Kitchen Bouquet, the flavor is good but it is kind of dark and I don't want to discolor the brisket. Any suggestions?

Kevin

I'd advise against the KBouquet - it is guaranteed to stain the meat - rub the outside before applying rub -- gives a nice start to the bark.

You want your injection to be clear or slightly translucent - in my opinion.

Just my $.02 worth

I use one of these

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/instruments/supervet2000syringe.html?E+scstore

the OL got it for me for Christmas last year. Works like a MoFo!!

I'd advise against the KBouquet - it is guaranteed to stain the meat -
I wouldn't use it for a contest, as staining would obviously not be desireable in that situation. At home the staining won't hurt anything and might actually be helpful in that you'll get an indication of how effective you were at distributing the injection.
the injected and brined briskets win hands down
I think the benefits of putting your solution both in and around the meat (brisket, butt or whatever) is obvious. If you're gonna take the time to do one, augment it with the other.

Damn, I wanna cook now!!

[quote="Kevin I've got a 12# brisket rubbed for tomorrow's cook and I'm going to inject it with a mix of Jim Beam,Au Jus, garlic powder, butter, and contemplating on Kitchen Bouquet, the flavor is good but it is kind of dark and I don't want to discolor the brisket. Any suggestions?

Kevin[/quote]

Did a little change up on the injection ingredients to avoid the dark color. Used canned beef broth, butter, garlic powder, and bourbon. The brisket turned out beautiful. No tracks or discoloration whatsoever. Tasted great except for the strong alcohol flavor. I quit using wine for cooking years ago because I didn't like the alcohol flavor. Why would I think bourbon would work? Oh well, that's how you learn. The thing was realy good though.

Kevin

Back