Help with Competition Announcement

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I read the FAQ or Guidelines for posting a comp announcement. However, I want to do it right the first time, so I'd like some help on the front end so I don't screw it up and have to endure endless posts about reading up on how to do it right.

1. We are a non-profit org doing our 5th annual rib-off. We are not sanctioned, but borrow heavily (read: exclusively) from KCBS.

2. While I would have to say that we are by nature a "backyard" competition since we are not sanctioned, I feel like this does a disservice to the volunteers that we have judging, and the judging guidelines and setup we have worked to achieve.

3. We only allow rib and chicken entries at this point due to venue constraints, but because we are registered as an nonprofit under "B Street Rib Off, Inc" I feel like we are shutting some people out who may think that it is strictly ribs... will that matter in the long run, or are people going to read about a local competitionregardless?

My questions are as follows:
*What is my best course of action to advertise this on the brethren forum (and elsewhere) with the least amount of slack/flaming. ie; what is the correct wording? (We are having in in a major public park in Little Rock, AR with assigned spots, etc... not actually in someone's backyard)
*What are the important points to hit on in the post other than City/state/venue/categories?
*We already have a .doc with all rules/judging procedures/entry form ready to send out... will that help with the brethren looking at us?
*We have given over $1000 two years in a row to the Arkansas Chapter of the American Cancer Society since starting this little competition... do the brethren even care about our philanthropy, or does it fall on deaf ears?
*I understand that prizes matter, so this year we have begun working on gathering prizes for the winners beyond a trophy. Unfortunately, because we are a 501 (c) 3 organization, we cannot give out cash prizes... How much of a hindrance is this in our goal to grow every year? We can only give away prizes that we secure through donation.

Thanks for any help/guidance y'all can provide. I want to grow this as much as possible, but I want to do it the right way and not just post away and get flamed for it and let our competition suffer for my idiocy.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Conrad

Hey fellas, I read the FAQ or Guidelines for
My questions are as follows:
*What is my best course of action to advertise this on the brethren forum (and elsewhere) with the least amount of slack/flaming. ie; what is the correct wording? (We are having in in a major public park in Little Rock, AR with assigned spots, etc... not actually in someone's backyard)
*What are the important points to hit on in the post other than City/state/venue/categories?
*We already have a .doc with all rules/judging procedures/entry form ready to send out... will that help with the brethren looking at us?
*We have given over $1000 two years in a row to the Arkansas Chapter of the American Cancer Society since starting this little competition... do the brethren even care about our philanthropy, or does it fall on deaf ears?
*I understand that prizes matter, so this year we have begun working on gathering prizes for the winners beyond a trophy. Unfortunately, because we are a 501 (c) 3 organization, we cannot give out cash prizes... How much of a hindrance is this in our goal to grow every year? We can only give away prizes that we secure through donation.

Conrad

Conrad,

Good luck with your event!

To start things off, I highly suggest that you don't publicize that you get your rules from cribbing the KCBS. They have sent out cease and desist letters in the past for exactly that to other organizers.

1) I would look at how other people have phrased their comp announcements and steal from the ones you like. There is no standard format, but they usually all look fairly similar as the information that you want to get out there is pretty common. I would start with a header that has the specifics of the event (date, location, type of contest), follow with the logistics and end with why you are having the contest and where the money goes, etc.

2) Who is doing the judging, how the food will be scored, how much space the teams get, what the turn-in times are, who is overseeing the adherence to rules, when payment is due, what the prizes will be, what ancillary benefits there will be (team breakfast, live music, etc.), what you expect from the teams in regards to the public, will there be electricity/water, access to bathrooms, when can teams load in, when will the awards ceremony be, will ice be provided.

3) Yes.

4) Yes, Brethren do care about philanthropy.

5) It depends on what the donated prizes are, what the entry fee is and who you are looking to attract as competitors. Serious competitors who frequent the circuit want to at least have a chance to win their costs back.

Again, good luck with the event.

Eric

3. We only allow rib and chicken entries at this point due to venue constraints, but because we are registered as an nonprofit under "B Street Rib Off, Inc" I feel like we are shutting some people out who may think that it is strictly ribs... will that matter in the long run, or are people going to read about a local competition regardless?

That won't matter. Lots of festivals refer to themselves as rib or pork events that aren't. People won't read anything into it.

Roc City Rib Fest - full KCBS and NEBS grilling event
Pork in the Park - not just pork
Big Pig Jig - also not just pork

I'm not sure how being a 501(c)3 limits you to not giving cash awards, though. Many contests are run by non-profits. Cash prizes and/or sanctioning might be options to increase participation if that's a concern. A 20x20 space for competitors is enough to do a KCBS sanctioned event.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get our info up on here in the next few days. I appreciate the help in letting us know what's important.

Back