• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Unami Brisket

growit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thinking of doing Harry Soo's unami brisket. Has anyone used his recipe. Thanks.

have yet to try it but all the ingredients are in the cabinet just waiting for the chance.

I have tried it and it came out good, but it tended to be a little bit salty for my taste. It did not stop everyone from eating eat though. If you use the drippings from when you wrap be careful because they are salt city.

I've tried VERY similar, but without reconstituted mushrooms on top. I seriously am not too interested in trying that part, as I like the bark.

Thanks, but it seems like way too much work for me.
This is the only part that really is more than my normal cook.

1. Mix the beef paste with the Worcestershire sauce and Maggi Seasoning and spread all over the brisket except the fat cap
  2. Sprinkle the bonito flakes evenly and let the flakes melt into the brisket
  3. Apply the SYD Hot Rub generously enough to cover the exposed meat so you cannot see it any more. There is no need to season the fat cap
  4. Apply the chopped rehydrated ****ake

I have tried it and it came out good, but it tended to be a little bit salty for my taste. It did not stop everyone from eating eat though. If you use the drippings from when you wrap be careful because they are salt city.
John, someone had mentioned that in his comments. This is his reply.

Harry Soo September 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Yes, dipping the cut slices in the au jus is good. I suggest you taste the au jus first as it will likely be too salty. I usually add hot water to my au jus before I dip my slices in them. Enjoy!

So do you guys think it's more trouble than it's worth?

One one hand, if you have the time, it would be a great learning experience (for me anyway). On the other, If you like what you have been doing, stick with it.

Just my .02.

So do you guys think it's more trouble than it's worth?
Absolutely!!! It's BBQ not fine dining. Fire, Meat & Eat. I have tried many different styles of cooking BBQ in the last 30 yrs. the simpler you can keep it the better it is. Want proof Franklins in Austin:tape2:

This is the only part that really is more than my normal cook.

1. Mix the beef paste with the Worcestershire sauce and Maggi Seasoning and spread all over the brisket except the fat cap
  2. Sprinkle the bonito flakes evenly and let the flakes melt into the brisket
  3. Apply the SYD Hot Rub generously enough to cover the exposed meat so you cannot see it any more. There is no need to season the fat cap
  4. Apply the chopped rehydrated ****ake
I hear ya. Too much stuff I'd have to go buy, to just only use one time. Thanks though.

Absolutely!!! It's BBQ not fine dining. Fire, Meat & Eat. I have tried many different styles of cooking BBQ in the last 30 yrs. the simpler you can keep it the better it is. Want proof Franklins in Austin:tape2:

I couldn't agree more! All the fancy extras may add a little here or there but Q is all about the meat flavor coming out not covered up.

Crap! I may have to try it, now that you said that. :mmph:

That's like tellin' me not to color outside the lines. :doh:

CD :becky:

Well, I figure I am gonna find out. My wife totally surprised me at XMAS by giving me a BBQ class by Harry Soo on Feb 2 in the Bay Area. Hello..... he never does classes up here. I am so stoked!!!!

Back