Armadillo eggs… did I get them right?

trekmstr

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Armadillo eggs… did I get them right?
I did a big cookout for family over the weekend and wanted to make some appetizers so I made a couple of fatty’s and thought I’d try some armadillo eggs. I remembered seeing a post a week or so back but there were no pix so I guessed and did what seemed right.
1. Cut tops off and sliced partway down side for better access to innards.
june cookout 2011 010.jpg
2. Stuffed with med cheddar cheese.
june cookout 2011 012.jpg
3. Covered with an Italian sausage with some dry rub added.
Put onto smoker.
june cookout 2011 025.jpg
4. Rolled over after about 40 min or so and they were kinda sinking into the grates.
june cookout 2011 030.jpg
5. Sliced, picked & seved.
june cookout 2011 029.jpg
6. Had some left over. 1 lbs of sausauge only coverd 7 peppers. So I got creative and made an I.P.HO.D. (improvised pepper holding device), and put them on the smoker. They came out really good too.
june cookout 2011 026.jpg
So… did I get them right? Even if they weren’t right they where really good. Everyone liked them. We’ll every one except the wife. She said something about them being too hot. But she did say that she was able to breath afterward. Seems she did not know how stuffed up she was until after eating a small slice.

I dont know what the definition of right is your looking for... those look farking awesome!!!! so I say you did something right!!! Smoke on Brother!!:thumb:

In the east, they would have to be called atomic possum eggs. An armadillo is just a possum on the half shell ;)

Looks good. Think i'll make those for apps on Saturdays Q.

Outstanding and I love the improvised pepper holding device, very creative. :thumb: I will be using that idea, for sure!!!

one thing i've found is that softening up the pepper in a pan just a little bit tastes better imo.

but those look really good.

If those beauties are wrong, then I dont wana be right! :cool:

Outstanding and I love the improvised pepper holding device, very creative. :thumb: I will be using that idea, for sure!!!

yea it worked really good. just took a sheet of foil rolled from both ends then flattened and folded the ends together. (kinda left the bottom flat and inside edges taperd. like 2 wedges)
set peppers in and pinched foil between peppers to keep them standing.

one thing i've found is that softening up the pepper in a pan just a little bit tastes better imo.

but those look really good.
yea, i left them in for a while hoping to mellow flavor a little but some people (wimps):-D said they were hot. i was thining about trying something to precook them a little but didnt know how they would how they would hold up to getting stuffed and coverd. i'm going to try that next time. do you use oil or anything?

Back