Yoder smoker 640-fresh review

guntera

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start any battles or bashing. Just looking for a fresh review on the YS640. I'm highly interested in the YS640 with Competition Cart. I've researched several forums and read endless posts even on the Brethren and I'm worried. Most of the reviews are old and its about a 50/50 shot of having a good one or someone having problems with it. Please update if you got one or know of someone using one.

Here is my review from March. I like it so much I'm upgrading (see signature).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155412

I would have no concerns with them if I were you. All of the older issues have been addressed and fixed and their QC and customer service is second to none. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

YS640 is great. I cook chicken and pork on it for comps. We also use it a lot for grilling categories.

I have had a 640 for a long time now and have added a 1320/1500 for the majority of this season. Love them both, I'm a big fan of their products. If you have any specific concerns ask away, I'll try to help with anything I can.

I thought mine was a great unit and would highly recommend it for use at comps and at home! It's the best valued pit for the money. And 20 years from now it will still be structurally solid!

Thanks for the responses! I feel better about things and I think I've got a Yoder purchase to make. BIG thanks to nucornhusker for the message I received involving his experience with the darn thing!!! Great BBQ Brother to have around!

Thanks for the responses! I feel better about things and I think I've got a Yoder purchase to make. BIG thanks to nucornhusker for the message I received involving his experience with the darn thing!!! Great BBQ Brother to have around!
Did you think you would ever say that about a Husker? :heh: :heh: :heh: :heh: :heh:

I'm not trying to start any battles or bashing. Just looking for a fresh review on the YS640. I'm highly interested in the YS640 with Competition Cart. I've researched several forums and read endless posts even on the Brethren and I'm worried. Most of the reviews are old and its about a 50/50 shot of having a good one or someone having problems with it. Please update if you got one or know of someone using one.

Over the past year or so I have cooked a good bit on both 640 and 480 comp carts. I really like the hybrid pellet cooker/offset pit design. I killed it in brisket last season on the 640. Only issue I had is the auto ignite phase can be a problem on lousy contest power. I disconnected that and use a torch to start.

I got my 640 (no comp cart) in late June. during a comp I cook Ribs and Chicken on it and love the hell out of it. I had read manyn things aobut temp swings but it appeared that firmware had caught up to that condition as I have not seen the issue. Outside of comps I ahve cooked averything from Briskets, Butts, Fatties, Abt's and more.....love the results across the board. Highly reccomend.

Just got mine last week and will be putting it to the real test tomorrow at my first comp. Loved everything so far on my practice runs though. It sure as hell beats my EBC haha

I have has my 640 since Jan. love it it has cooked great for me. I did not go with the comp. cart but did do the wheel mod. Much better than the stock wheels and left cash in my pocket..cost about 100 bucks. Comp cart does look cool, and may be worth the extra cash if you do lots of contests. For me I would rather have extra cash to buy pellets, or spend it on the second shelf, temp ports or the custom thermal blanket they make for it.:grin:

I love my Yoder. In fact looking at adding a 1500 to the mix.

The one issue I was having was temperature was not even from side to side. Worked with Don and we were able to get it figured out. Hell blew the ignitor at a competition and within five minutes of sending an e-mail they were calling me to tell me how to bypass the ignitor.

Oh and the comp cart is awesome. Very easy to wheel on and off a trailer or around by yourself.

It has a good amount of room. We can do brisket, 2 pork butts, and 4 slabs of ribs. Still would have room for chicken but it just does not work on the Yoder since we go higher on chicken.

I am concerned about power at a comp or even in general since we are starting to do more catering.

I went with a APC invertor and a couple marine deep cell batteries. I can do a full cook off of that power and still have 80%+ juice left in the batteries.

I am concerned about power at a comp or even in general since we are starting to do more catering.

I went with a APC invertor and a couple marine deep cell batteries. I can do a full cook off of that power and still have 80%+ juice left in the batteries.

I agree. They draw the most current on start up mod. but very little during the cook.

Wife and I have had our YS640 (no comp cart) since January of 2012 and it has been cooked on I would say an average of 3 times a week... we just love it! We would not hesitate to purchase another if we needed it. I enjoy using our other grills and smokers but when North Dakota winter comes around I just love the set it and forget of the Yoder with the thermal jacket in -10º temps (sometimes -60º wind chills) as it keeps me inside and warm!

I'm a relatively new owner (spring 2013) of a YS640 which is my 1st smoker ever so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I've had good results so far. I have a couple of questions.
1) Is the Thermal blanket just for winter cooking? Or can it be used year round to maintain a constant temp.
2) Can the Comp. Cart be added afterwards?

1) I guess you could leave the jacket on year round, but I would worry about flameouts if you were cooking at low temps and it was hot outside. I used it only when it was below 60* or so.

2) Yes

Back