• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

Figured this would be a good idea for a thread! Man, some of the pork boxes look like someone threw up in their clam shells! Great stuff! LOL!

LOOKS LIKE BEEF JERKY! BUT I GUARANTEE YOU I WOULD NOT TURN THEM DOWN:thumb:

It was my first ever comp, and I used my butt rub on the ribs.

DUH!

My butt rub creates a dark bark!

Like I said, they tasted great (to me, apparently not the judges).

I have gotten much, much better at rib turn ins, but now my chicken appearances have gone to he!!.

I only wish I could add several of the boxes I saw as a judge last weekend... some horrendous boxes in ribs and brisket especially!

ribbox.jpg

For this one, we actually got all 9's in appearance, and Ribberfest in 2005... Those judges were blind!
chixbox.jpg

chickenturnin.jpg

grchickbox.jpg

grribbox.jpg

There's more, but I must stop!
were u using old roofing shingels for smoke??? lol:clap2:

Olathe 2011 First KCBS
Newly modified Smoker heat indexes in the 110-115 range pit temp was 150 with no fire!
Pavement Temp at MIDNIGHT
DSC_3871.jpg

pork 23rd out of 59
DSC_3884.jpg

chicken 43rd out of 59
DSC_3881.jpg

brisket 57th out of 59
DSC_3885.jpg

Ribs were apparently camera shy but scored a 20 out of 59
Blue Springs 2011
Same pit different slightly changed style
Chicken 56th out of 65
DSC_3940.jpg

Ribs 63rd out of 65
DSC_3941.jpg

Pork 43 out of 65
DSC_3942.jpg

Brisket 60th out of 65
DSC_3943.jpg

By the way, relatively new in these parts "Rockin K BBQ"

Heck,
Some of these boxes don't look too bad. Learning a lot. The one with 5 ribs was tough. I just always say that I went to public schools when I do something like that:-D.

John

Burnt Ends:
This has been a banner year for burnt ends(brisket candy) that I have noticed. Seems like boxes (generaly) look nicer with the dark carmelized chunks all lined up to form a row or 2. Taste can be a huge plus when scores are in.

i helped a friend of mine at a contest and building the boxes were the most time consuming thing i have ever done in my life. i have to give props to anyone who makes a good looking box

Just wanted to thank the contributors over the years for that thread, laughed so hard, still wipeing away tears. Fantastic!

For the cat food turn in... Our first pork turn ever...

Attachments

• Raytown What the heck is that Pulled pork.jpg
    Raytown What the heck is that Pulled pork.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,873
Okay, I am brand new to this competition thing, never competed. I have been smoking and building smokers for a long time and plan to enter a backyard BBQ cook off in May. If these boxes are bad then what does a good box look like???

Okay, I am brand new to this competition thing, never competed. I have been smoking and building smokers for a long time and plan to enter a backyard BBQ cook off in May. If these boxes are bad then what does a good box look like???

Peep the pickled pig website.

Smokerhead started in 2011, here's boxes from my first four comps.

picture.php

^^^A Little Crowded. I didn't do real well with garnish in any of these.^^^

picture.php

^^^Lets put those 2 front and center. The black marks are for flavor.^^^:thumb:

picture.php

^^^just throw it in.....^^^

picture.php

^^^Cut Giant burnt ends and hide the slices in the back, also make sure you pick random slices and make sure they don't look alike^^^:doh:

picture.php

^^^Would anyone like a pink chicken nugget, that's not the camera doing that, that was what color they were. Pool Liner Lettuce^^^

picture.php

^^^Poorly cut, dirty ribs just wrecking that beautiful garnish^^^

picture.php

^^^I really have no words for this one.....Sorry? I guess? at least it hid the garnish.^^^

picture.php

^^^ Here's my brownsket and i made the edges of slices nice and crumbly, I need a glass of water.^^^^

picture.php

^^^The chicken itself, I think looks pretty good. Could just be in a better order. Too bad I hid it in sauced lettuce. Appearance scores - 9,9,8,7,7,6^^^

picture.php

^^^well, i cooked 6 racks of ribs so I might as well use one from each rack....right? Appearance scores - 9,8,8,8,7,6^^^

picture.php

^^^Those were some nice judges. Appearance scores - 9,8,8,8,7,7^^^

picture.php

^^^ You've seen me do a lot worse. Appearance scores - 8,8,8,7,7,7^^^

picture.php

^^^this is a lettuce and parsley box with some chicken hidden in it. Somehow it scored well though. Appearance scores - 9,9,9,9,8,8 and took 4th place.^^^

picture.php

^^^I think I managed to do everything wrong in a box without having it be a DQ. Appearance scores - 9,9,8,7,7,7^^^:crazy:

picture.php

^^^Another parsley jungle with some lost pork. Appearance scores - 9,9,9,8,7,6^^^

Through the help of this thread and by doing some judging, by my fifth comp I got a little more consistant with the box appearance scores:
(Concentrating on the boxes also made me forget to take pics of them)

Chicken - 8,8,8,8,8,7
Ribs - 9,9,9,8,8,8
Pork - 9,9,9,8,8,8
Brisket - 9,9,9,8,8,8

Back