• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

before blowing out the flame.

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

I took them out of their wrappers.

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

An hour later it looked like this.

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.

I have a 12in tube and it will smoke for nearly 4hrs. Your cheese looks excellent.Let us know how it tastes.

Looks great! The cheese definitely took on some color... You've got some good eating in the near future. Let us know how it turned out...

I did basically the same, except I did a whole tube full of apple pellets, Not good...I think 2 hours of smoke is max.

2 hours is about the right time frame that I have found too using the tube. When you are at costco pick up the Cabot 3 Year Aged Cheddar. It is the best cheddar I have smoked by far.

Looks great! What type of wood chips did you use?

Back