• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kingsform Comp grilling trouble

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok so no pron didn't happen well this is more of my opinion on the new K for grilling. Last night on the SJP bought half a pound of country style ribs and a pound of marinated chicken fajitas from the awesome mexican meat market around the corner from my house. Had the GF make some awesome homemade flour tortillas had the guacamole ready to go. I had been painting my garage all afternoon and was hungry for something tasty. What better than fajitas and ribs and mexican rice? Well lit a full chimney of the new K and got it going. Dumped into the SJP with all vents wide open and it was burning well. Put the lid on to get the grate hot because everything was to be cooked at high temps. So I go inside put all the meat in a pan get my tongs walk back out and check the temp on the therm about 450. Ok not really as hot as I usually get on my regular charcoal about 10 minutes into a preheat. Also I throw on a chuck of mesquite. Oh well I throw on the chicken and ribs and they sizzle a little. Not hot enough to sear at all! WTF? So I figure I'm crazy put the lid on and come back about 5 minutes later to check and flip. Open the lid and it's not very hot at all I check under no grill marks or browning. WTF again? So I just leave the lid open and it takes a while for the coals to get going but to make a long story short it took way too long to finish the cook but luckily everything finally came off and was juicy and delicious. But I have never had this much trouble with charcoal. And I definately won't be buying this anymore for grilling. "High temps for searing" my arse! Anyone else have this problem? Keep in mind my SJP is a beast for searing steaks and everything else I've cooked in it with regular K, B & B lump and HEB mesquite charcoal I normally use. Also the kettle was completely clean of ashes and all vents were open including the SJS mod vent on the bottom. So far this has happened on all the cooks I've done with this charcoal.

Is it possible that the charcoal got damp some way? I have had that happen if I have left a bag open in very damp weather even.

I wouldn't pass judgement on a product on one the basis of just one bag. If you do try it again, get it from another store.

I have to admit, I can't see how if you used the same amount of the new stuff as you did the old stuff that it would cook lower. As suggested above, the bag was probably bad.

I guess it's possible but even from the very first cook right when I opened the bag i've had issues with it. I guess it's possible I got a bad bag though I've never actually had a bad bag of charcoal. I usually keep my bags in the garage closed up. Is it possible to sometimes get bad bags from the store. I bought it at home depot. Maybe you're right because I did some ribeye's last sunday with my regular charcoal same amount same kettle and it seared the heck out them and they were cooked medium rare in no time. I had the SJP up to almost 600 degrees on that cook. I guess maybe during shipping or in store something could have happened? Just thought I was crazy!

Back