Any Predictions

A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

I won't change my pork, but it would be nice to have an option to warm it up again. Pork takes more time to sort out then any other meat, and it's the only thing we can't put back on a heat source. It was 32 degrees at the Royal Invitational this year...having the option would be nice.

The rule was trying to prevent people from trimming a bunch of butts and cooking nothing but money muscles, right? Does that really help you? Discerning judges want to see slices, chunks, and pulls from the whole butt. I think turning in 3 pounds of MM isn't going to help you that much.

First wouldnt you have to have a table captain or judge question it.Knowing how busy the judging tent is I cant believe that the reps would look at each box unless it was questioned?

You're right. It always comes up with a table captain questioning it. There is no way we can see every box.

[?QUOTE=Jeff_in_KC;2371605]I believe it was unanimous but I could be mistaken. I don't have notes with me.[/QUOTE]

You push this this game changing rule through and don't know what the vote was?

Oh, ok.

I won't change my pork, but it would be nice to have an option to warm it up again. Pork takes more time to sort out then any other meat, and it's the only thing we can't put back on a heat source. It was 32 degrees at the Royal Invitational this year...having the option would be nice.

The rule was trying to prevent people from trimming a bunch of butts and cooking nothing but money muscles, right? Does that really help you? Discerning judges want to see slices, chunks, and pulls from the whole butt. I think turning in 3 pounds of MM isn't going to help you that much.

Sorry, any judge who scores for what is not in the box rather than "what is presented" needs to be removed. I've seen great boxes with all sliced MM and scored appropriately. Please don't score down for something that is not in a box.

Benny

I had a chance to give this some thought and had some great discussions about It this past weekend and have come to this conclusion;

A: I'm kind of happy that I will be able to set my sauce on pork like I can on all the other meats
B: I'm just getting the judges to like the pork I cook now so I'm not going to change a whole lot
C: I'm not going to sound the alarm about the death of BBQ
D: I'll let others set the pace with radical changes
E: How about we wait and see what happens before we start vilifying people, we have a whole year before this even takes effect. I'm going to worry about 2013 before I start sweating about 2014

The only change for us it that instead of cooking four butts, we can cook two since we can remove the MM at 180ish and return the remainder back to the cooker to run up towards 200 degrees for pulled. We will continue cooking the butts the way we do now, ie, not separating before the cook.

The only change for us it that instead of cooking four butts, we can cook two since we can remove the MM at 180ish and return the remainder back to the cooker to run up towards 200 degrees for pulled. We will continue cooking the butts the way we do now, ie, not separating before the cook.

And ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is what the intent of the change was.

During the Open Rules Meeting the entire group was for eliminating the parting rule . . . not one person present wanted to keep the rule as it was. Out of all of the e-mails that members sent in, not one wanted to keep the parting rule, every one that mentioned pork wanted to get rid of the parting rule.

The original rule never made much sense to me to begin with...you can part brisket but not pork...weird! But...the rule was what the rule was and in order to compete we play by the rules...period! I like the change...it shouldn't make a hoot what the cook does to the meat after it passes inspection...it still has to be cooked to perfection...attached or not! :becky: My 2 cents...

And ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is what the intent of the change was.

During the Open Rules Meeting the entire group was for eliminating the parting rule . . . not one person present wanted to keep the rule as it was. Out of all of the e-mails that members sent in, not one wanted to keep the parting rule, every one that mentioned pork wanted to get rid of the parting rule.

Problem is a lot of members don't believe you have to remove the MM before the rest of the butt is ready to be pulled like the poster above states. On the surface it seems as if the BoD changed this rule for a small part of comp cooks that do this process.

Sorry. Dont want to bitch and moan... but spot on Rich. Folks get pissed at me for saying it. But learn to cook better and you can do it all without having to return any meat. I know that there are others that can do this as well... but to say that no one came out in support at the rules meeting in KC? Come-on. What is the percentage of cooks that go to KC and even if they did, change the times of the meeting, so more people will attend. I for one never realized that was the only way to make change or to keep it the same by only going to the rules meeting.

If they would just rename the category "Pulled Pork" then that would eliminate all of this.

Seriously, am I the only smuck that cooks his butt till tender and then slices the money muscle and pulls the rest? At 180, there is still some tooth to the muscle and it is not what I would consider "pork butt" tender.

Which I thought was a criteria. And no, it is not mush.

I am now afraid we have a criterion problem.

Sooooo because someone chooses not to cook a butt all in one piece to the same internal temp to get both sliced money muscle as well as pulled that automatically means that they don't know how?

Back