• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Injecting a brisket?

jack040806

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I was hoping maybe someone could give me a crash course in injecting, the last time I made a brisket the outside had a lot of flavor but the inside was kinda bland and I wanted to give injecting a try. So what do I use for the injection and how many times do I poke it? And are there any particular places I want to make sure to get?

Big Cow Beef Injection
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup worcestershire
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

Try for about 16 oz.. depending on size of the brisket. Try a checkerboard pattern around every inch or so.. Inject with the grain, not against.

Big Cow Beef Injection
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup worcestershire
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

Yep, that's what I've been using from Dr. BBQ's book! If I happen to grab a can of low sodium beef broth, I also will add some soy sauce to add some salt to the mix. I'm also thinking of substituting the soy sauce with a beef bullion cube as an experiment. I don't inject the entire amount from this recipe, almost though. IMO it doesn't give any overpowering flavor to the brisket. It just adds internal moisture & subtle seasoning. It keeps the brisket tasting "beefy", which is exactly what I want it to do.

As for the injecting itself... The first time I ever injected a brisket I injected both the lean and the fat side (Duh, I know better now :icon_smil). The fat cap kept plugging my needle with fat. So now I only inject from the lean side. I inject in a pattern of rows. Each injection site is about 1" to 1-1/2" from each other within the row. Likewise each row is spaced about 1" to 1-1/2" apart. I inject the the entire packer this way (flat & point). Every time I refill the syringe, I stir the injection solution to suspend the solid ingredients. They tend to settle on the bottom of the solution quickly.

I use Knorr's beef gravy mix. i mix up a very thick batch. I inject from the sides of the meat with the grain. I have a Spitjack injector so it is big enough to go 3/4 of the way through even a good size brisket. As I inject I slowly move the needle out to keep from having pockets of injection. Massage the heck out of it when you are done and then let it sit in the fridge for around 6 hours and you will be good to go.

Here is a great non-commercial injection...

Johnny's Au Jus concentrate, mixed a little lighter than the directions. You can usually get it at Wal-Mart.

0007038110100_215X215.jpg

Minor's is great as well, if you can find it. What makes Minor's better, as far as mimicking a commercial injection, is that it contains sodium phosphate, which is one of the "magic ingredients" of many (if not all) commercial injections.

John

I just got some Butchers Injection, gonna try it in a brisket on monday, never injected a brisket before myself, i'll let you know how it comes out. As for worcestershire sauce, i can't say that i really like it, it always seems to over power stuff, i am cautious oabout using to much of it

Back