• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New UDS Build Question

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am building another UDS and I had an idea. I am thinking about cutting a whole in the bottom of a doner weber and then bolt it into the drum. I want to make the cut just below where the bottom grate sits, so that I will already have holders for two grates. Granted the lower grate, which would hold the coals if I left it as a grill, is much smaller, but I could still fit stuff on it. I am not good with photo shop, so this is the best I can to to help explain what I mean. I want to make the cut approximatly where I have the red circle drawn.

Anybody see a disadvantage to this idea?

Attachments

• weber middle.jpg
    weber middle.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 181
So my weber lid will fit on it snugly. I was planning on cutting off four inches or so and bolting that to the drum, like I saw mentioned here, but then I thought this might be better...or not. I like the possibilities, but I am not sure what the negatives might be.

If it's bolted to your Drum how do you get the Charcoal Basket in and out?

The hole would be big enough to place the charcoal basket in. I measured. :razz:

I just looked at the picture I put up...I didn't make the circle very big. The hole will be bigger than that. I will make the cut tonight, and try to take a picture, so you guys can see what I am talking about. I have no other use for the bottom anyway.

if this is going on the bottom of the barrel what's the point?

I know what you are implying, and would say that since you plan to use the coal grate as a smaller meat grate, then you are in essense forcing all the heat and smoke to get through that smaller bottom hole and then out the top. I think the meat on the larger top grate is going to get left out of the party so to speak. It will not get as much heat or smoke cause the smaller bottom hole may be blocked when you have meat on it.

I say just use the flange method and put in another full sized meat grate and increase the capacity all around and not have problems with temps and choking it out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40875&highlight=weber+flange
I think your idea will give you fits when it comes to temp management. If you think about it, you are forcing all the heat and smoke to evacuate the drum through that smaller hole and then out the lid. A lot of heat and smoke is going to get trapped all around the sides of the weber bottom. The only way for it to exit will be go through the smaller hole. You will end up with more heat and smoke than that hole can properly and quickly get rid of.

Plus, trying to manuver the coal basket in and out of the smaller hole or adding coal will be a lot harder.

Use the bottom as a high domed lid like I did:grin:
IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

Your Picture isn't showing up, but I am very excited to see it. :razz:

Ok, I tried it on mine and the bottowm is also too small, how did you connect the drum and the weber bottom?

Last edited:
IMG_9642.jpg

I hope this is not a "Hi Jack" but that is a "Kick Arse" idea. I was just about to cut a drum tomorrow for my 1st. full size UDS... Change of plans! S & B did you leave a small shelf around the inside of the bead when you cut the top off? Seems like that would be a good seal and no drips or runs on the outside if the drum. I would like to see a pic with the lid (Weber bottom) off it you would please!

I did not have to cut the barrel. You can't see it in that picture, but the barrel has a slight taper and the OD of the lip of the barrel and the OD of the lip of the kettle were the same, so I formed a 3/4" ring (1/8" thick steel) and welded it to the lip of the kettle. This is what forms the "seat" and keeps it in place. Originally, I was going to use the lid clamp that came with the barrel to just clamp it on when in use, but this turned out well and gives it a good seal.
IMG_9637.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

I hope this helps...

I was all ready to make the cuts last night, and I had to admit defeat. I beleive BobBrisket is right that I am better off just doing the flange thing. I don't think there would be as much space as I thought if I made the cut I was going to make. Oh well.

Matt,
When you described your idea it reminded me of this. Bear with me, I'm weird and that's how I analyze things. I can't help it. If you took a glass(it represents the drum) and then put a funnel into the glass(thats the Weber bottom) It works great for putting liquid into the glass but if you held the funnel in place and then turned the glass upside down, the funnel wont work quite as well to "empty" the glass of the water. It's going to take a lot longer for the water(the heat and smoke) to exit the funnel through the smaller hole. All that time the build up of heat and smoke will probably have a counter effect on the intakes and start pushing heat and smoke out instead of drawing air in thus choking out the fire. I did the flange trick with my drum and love it. It was not a perfect seal at the beginning, but some gaskets made of pipe isulation wrapped in foil plugged up all the leaks. I didn't bolt the flange to the drum since it fit in there pretty tight and didn't really move. Plus all the seasoning etc has pretty much secured it in place. Hope we helped you out. I really like the bottom as a lid idea. That would be perfect for making a large number of BBC or turkeys when you need the added height clearance.
keep us up to date on the build.

Here's some info on mine........I could not have done it with out all the help from the members on this board either.:eusa_clap
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39581&highlight=drum+deflowering

This thread has some great info provided by fellow Drum Heads.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38196&highlight=weber+flange

Lastly, cut the bowl about one inch under the grate supports. This way, you can still use them to hold up the grates. Also, use eye and face protection and thick clothing when cutting the porcelain coating on the Weber. It flies everywhere.

Back