• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

yakfishinfools Kyaking/breast cancer event. NE area brethren!

Pan cooking on grill would save labor, though. Make sure you use oil in pans.

Have no fear....Phil's an expert at cooking eggs on a kettle. We cooked a ton of eggs at the Kingsford event as part of the pork tenderloin breakfast burritos... and I may be wrong, but no oil was used in the pans.... Phil's really skilled at using a spatula to scramble without burning...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Is the meeting still on for tonight?

I don't think so Julie, aka Queenie,
I am home, not there, not square.
Pretty sure the prior posts re the sked etc. sums it all up for what is happening.
As they said on the old A Team tv show, "I love it when the plan comes together."
I am sure we will all bring stuff in addition to all the other.
See y'all Saturday, late morning.

I don't think so Julie, aka Queenie,
I am home, not there, not square.
Pretty sure the prior posts re the sked etc. sums it all up for what is happening.
As they said on the old A Team tv show, "I love it when the plan comes together."
I am sure we will all bring stuff in addition to all the other.
See y'all Saturday, late morning.

Amen, brother.

"I pity the fool!"

Man, I'd love to be there, but it's such a long walk.
Youse guys have fun!!!!!!

I'm leaving late tonight or very early tomorrow. Will get a day of yak fishing in. Saturday is also a demo day with lot's of kayaks there to try out. Consider it if you;ve never done it and bring some clothes to get wet, or even better clothes to stay dry in. I'll be the fat guy inthe grey dry suit with red trim :)

I will be at Floyd Bennett on Sat at the baseball fields officiating a double header from 10 am-2pm. I will try to stop by if I get an opportunity. If you guys need a break stop by the fields and say hello and catch an inning or 2. See you then.

Les

Thanks to the guys who helped BigBarry out last night. One of the fisherman was a Federal Officer and was able to get help right away.

He got home safely just after 9:00 AM this morning with his arm in a sling. He slept for about six hours and is now watching TV and eating a bit. His knees are scraped up and his shoulder, upper arm hurt, but he should be okay.

I suppose some explanation and background feedback would be in order.
Late last evening Barry suffered a disclocated shoulder accidentally and spent the rest of the evening at a local hospital, Coney Island I believe, where they "popped it back in" and fitted him with a sling.
Being the brethren trooper that he is, as several of us were prepping the fixings for breakfast his morning, shortly after the sun came up, who appears strolling across the tarmac but Big Barry himself, ready to pitch in and help us all finish!
Last I heard, 16 hrs in the sling and Barry should be back on the mound in no time.
Wait til' yall hear about how the rest of the weekend went!
(It's all good.)

Wow...I'm tired. After loading up my trailer and then helping Scott and Phil get Phil's trailer in order, I was home around 1PM.

24 hours were a blur of motion.

Slept all afternoon... Good time, lots of work but we all worked together and got through it surprisingly well conisdering the sheer volume of food being cooked.. (on the way home it reminded me of how much we cooked at the Kingsford event).

It was a real scene when Westex sets up a table, with his cowboy hat and BBQ apron while all the kayakers were standing nearby waiting for food. You would have thought Westex was like some BBQ god ready to put on a demo for the public !!!!

Really sorry about Big Barry Poppins... but seeing him walk through the trees in the early AM with a sling on his arm and gauze bandages on both legs, smiling and waving was classic.. Mr. Poppins was back in action cooking up breakfast after being in the hospital all evening...

I had no clue anything happened. at 1AM I was sleeping in my truck. I saw a bunch of flashing lights, but I assumed with all the wind coming off the water that there was a storm and there was lightning flashes in the sky.

Julie and Tim show up in the AM around 5 AM or so, and next thing you know, we are in Phi's trailer cracking and scrambling several hundred eggs.

It was great to meet Scott(yakfishingfool). Real solid guy, who worked his arse off as well cooking, cleaning and ensuring we all hit the timelines while sacrficing his day on Sat. to actually fish out of his kayak.

I think he got a good taste of the LI Brethren although we were so busy, we really did not get to hang out much and really let loose.

Well, I have to thank all the Brethren and the 'yakers for all the help.

Background - After most everyone went to bed on Sat. night, we got some nasty wind with gusts over 35mph around midnight. I played camground monitor and got some folks up to break everything down so it wouldn't blow away.

I crashed when I tried to get up off the cooler after dozing off...Mind you, I was drinking but wasn't hammered - just exhausted. Went to get up and lost my balance and crashed hard into the concrete.

Thanks to the two young federal agents who were late arrivals to the tourney that saw the accident and got help lightning fast.

DO NOT EVER got to Coney Island Hospital. Ever. Under any circumstances. Sew your own arm back on if you have to.

Feel sorry for the 'yakers...small craft warning pretty much killed the tourney for them. Hey, at least they ate good.

I gotta say that I have never seen a group of people work so hard and so well together. We really were smokin'!! Organizing, delegating, leading. We really clicked.

I also had a GREAT time (boo-boo aside) and I would do it again in a heartbeat. People were drooling, then raving over the chow. They were pressing up against the tables to watch us work.

Good charity, good people, good times.

So what went wrong at the hospital?

Other than the last 30 min - pain relief from Orthopedist resetting arm - everything. Screaming maniacs,felons, staff that couldn't give a shart, filthy conditions, complete lack of care or concern, freezing cold with no blankets.

I left before they were able to take final x-rays to "make sure it was back in place" Duh. I was able to move it freely.

I walked out and had to hail a gypsie cab on the street to take me back. I could just imagine his thoughts about taking a large, bandaged, smelly (smoky) man to an abandoned airfield at 5:30 in the morning.

I am shot to chit.. got home around 4 and slept till 9. Stopped at WilieBs to drop off some leftover stuff and the 6 foot grill.

We were cooking for a planned 225, but it turned out to to be 150-175 for dinner and breakfast even less. The windy weather kept the kyakers on dry land.

Scott and I worked the pits most of the time, while the rest did the food handling, serving and crowd control(showtime!!). Vinnney did the butts in the spicewine, so actually he did'nt do anything but pull up a chair and watch that pit coast. :wink: That medimum spicewine swallowed up 25 pork butts. Impressive!

What was awesome is how everyone took control of something that needed to be done and did it. Westex was a pork puller, Skip(Mr Wannabebbqueen) was in the kitchen makin/inventin the pork for sammis, BigBarry Birdserver later to be know as Humpty Drum-pty, Vinney the Sammi-man got the pork from Skip to build the samis, Westex the cornhauler, Queenie was Salad Servin and MotoEric was burpin up sodas.

yakfisher and I tended MOAB turning out a few hindred pieces of chicken as they came off and got consumed. We were short a pit and hoped Moab would handle it but just in case i brought the Boyscouts Bionic Bandera which later on, turned out to save the day. Those banderas are great little pits, and i am so glad they were the cornerstone of the Bandera Brethren... (to bad my original was misplaced in the wrong home :cry:....)

heres a few highlights.

first high point.

I forgot the firewood. Nice move a-hole.
shocked-smiley-9449.gif
I bring two stick burners and no sticks.
speechless-smiley-008.gif
i was supposed to pick it up at willies, but had so much loading of the foods, that we forgot to load the wood. Barry went on a home depot run.. NO WOOD and any of the,... yak stole some oak from someones campfire pile. :twisted: Moab needs a chit load of wood to get hot, but once its going, a log or 2 an hour or some lump is all ya need.. its that first burst that charcoalalone can not do. It HAS to have flames going into the chamber to get all the steel hot.

Next,..... Never figure # pieces of chicken in a 40 lb box based on weight. Willie and I, when estimating how much to buy grabbed a few thighs from a box at the restauratnt and weighed a few.. average -8-9 oz. ok. 40lb*16oz=640oz/9each=71 pieces average per box. We needed 210 so we got 3 boxes AND a case of wings which averaged about 120 per box. thats over 300 pieces.. cool, covered.

Well, we got bird thighs from chernoybl.
speechless-smiley-004.gif
They looked like they were from farkin turkeys. 16oz and up. Some I could swear came off of some teradactyl somwhere. Normally that would be a good thing, but what it did was cut our piece count in half. Once loaded, we only had about 100 pieces :eek: but expecting 200+. Yakfisher and I took some psycho couch time to rework the plan. The deal to the customer was 1/4 chicken(leg and thigh), but we had to rework it to one of these huge thighs or a leg/wing combo. Originally, the wings were just for those who were dead set on whtemeat. But we had less people than we thought, so we made it with extra anyway.

a real eyecatcher was Bigbarry Poppins walkin back across the runway to the tune of "Johnny comes marchin home." A single troop, arm in a sling, knees bandaged up and bloody. Im watchin sayin, chit.. hes returning to his platoon. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap all he nneded was a head bandage and to be carrying a Brethren flag. :mrgreen:

Never trust Motoeric or Bigbarry to clean your jalepenos. I had an ABT that gave me some hiccups that sucked my workboots up thru my legs and stuck in my throat. Of course, yakfisher found that funny.

Difference between this and a competition is:

GREASE. :eek:

competition: @ butts, 2 briskets, 20 chicken, 6 racks ribs. Grease stays in the pit til ya get home.

Here: 200 chicken, 30 lbs bacon, 30 sausage.. GALLONS of grease, gotta be dumped a few times. A few times it wound up on the damn floor.

it was a ton of work and planning the week leading up, and i was concerned that it was being well recieved by the fishers.. our timing was off a little bit becase the chicken was so big it was taking loneger to cook. Notto mention that we could not fit as mush as we needed to on a rack. there are some tricks with MOAB that can push the cooks and give different results that we used and we were within and hour of target times. The big life saver was the little Bandera.. the spicebox was busy withthe butts, so with 6 shelves in it, the bandera was able to offload 20-30 big thighs from moab allowing us to clear shelves to start the wings. Then, removing the watertray in Moab gives the 2 bottom shelves a more direct heat right out of the firebox that can cook wings real fast and crispy them up.. its not direct grilling, but definately hight heat roasting. Without the bandera, we were screwed.

I missed all the smiles up front being i was working in the pit area and didnt get to schmooze any with the crowds. glad to know people were happy..

AS usual, meeting a brethren for the first time.. I was greted by Yakfishingfool and there was a total lack of first time wierdness, silence, shyness, etc.. Everytime i met one of us, the thing that catches me the most is the feeling you known they guy for years.. Especially when the first thing that happens is ball busting, wise cracking and reference to past liefe expreriences that only someone you know.or knows you can either reference, or understand.... Yak, it was a pleasure!!

although the trailer is not completed yet, it made life so much easier.. prep area, fridge, running hot water, it would have been a real b*tch doing this with just water buckets and ice chests. its nice to fire up a coffee maker, or sit down on a couch to take a break. Best thing is flolding out a bed and getting some real sleep for a few hours. Even if barry decides to interupt it with ambulances and earthquakes. He took his flop 20 feet away and we never heard a thing except a little talkign which i thought was just some guys sitting around having a few beers and enjoying the gale force winds coming off the bay.

Hands down, i had a great time.. it was a ton of work, and pretty much non stop except for a 4 hours sleep.. but thats was the fun... cooking and feeding people for a full day.. Now that we know what to expect, I'd do it again next year in a heartbeat.. and this time i'll bring a grease bucket. : )

All in all a splendid time was had by all and we all worked hard to help make it all come together.
As one who helped prep and serve both dinner and breakfast, the smiles and appreciations we all got on the front lines were very warm and sincere.
I tried to schmoooze with as many folks as possible and Yak and many others of his organization were grateful to all of us.
Several of the Kayyak campers who were set up near us really got an education I am sure. They are a great group of folks.
All I know about 'next year' is that when I was driving out, I spotted the 2 guys from Virginia that were there (and hooked us up with their generator at first),
and as I was saying goodbye, they both said in unison, "We sure hope to see you all back here next year."
I'm in.
(and I will bring some extra cherry, just in case.)

A few things:

1) I think Phil got the magic abt. I had about 6 and had no problems.

2) Always call ahead if they have cell phones on site. I figured I would get there around 2 and most of the work would be done. No such luck. Poor timing on my part. : )
Still plenty of shucking, chopping, abt stuffing and chicken seasoning to be done.

3) In spite of the less than expected attendance, I believe that the event was a financial success for a very worthy cause.

4) A bag containing a lge tupperware container with assorted penzeys spices went missing. Did anyone find it after I left or in the morning? Please let me know. Maybe Phil hid it thinking it had more jalepenos in it.

I had a great time and would certainly be happy to help out again next year. It was great to hang out with all the brethren for such a great cause.

Eric

PooBah--one of your best posts ever (of many)--great picture of the event!

Sounds like a great Brethren Time for a worthwhile cause!
That is what we do best!

TIM

Glad to hear you had a successful event. Sorry we missed it but Sawdust and I had the priviledge of watching our Nephew Graduate Summa Cum Laude. We have just learned that he has accepted a position at Price Waterhouse as a Data Security Agent.

HI Guys, Finally rested enough to make a post.

First, a major thank you. You guys came through with Flying colors. I know it was all volunteerm but the passion in what you did was obvious not for the cause so much as for the passion of cooking. It shows in everything you do.

So many thoughts, may take me a day or two to get them out there. I guess the easiest thing is to reflect on what poobah said, he hit the nail on the head. Never felt like a newbie and for some reason he's asking me to strategize on what to do. Internally I felt totally honored that Phil was sking me, a relative newbie for opinion. Several trips to the "couch" and he and I had figured it all out, at least two or three times ;) Like phil said I felt a part of the group without having ever met a soul. Wes, Eric, Barry, Julie, The folks there on Saturday afternoon making hamburgers (Mr and Mrs Wannabeequeen, I believe) Your help and participation was invaluable. Vinny, your spicewine is a pice of art and work and did a great job. If I could have a second pit, that would be it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

It all went down pretty much as Phil described, yup, smokers and no wood. Just a bunch of kayak fisherman and lo and behold one of them had wood with them. Stole it but we got wood...Was a bit concerned when Barry went "looking for wood", but he proved himself many times over. Also procured the generator and the gas to keep it running. It truly was a community effort...reminescent of a stone soup meal.

Some highlights for me...of course meeting brethren, seeing the size of the chicken and realizing we were under count. Solving the problem was fun. Phil not wearing underwear, a buit disturbing...yet...pleasing at the same time. The ABT that made Phil about wet his unprotected pants. He's running around with flames comming out of his mouth and start drinking quarts of water from a 1 quart chinese soup container. Also the ice cold lime vodka he served me as we had "couch therapy". James the pyro looking for anything that would burn:) Good kid you got there phil.

The 1:30am hospital call to care for Barry. What a guy, loud and personable, ready to give you the shirt off his back. Sat and kept him comfortable despit ehe repeated requests to just "pop" it back in for him. To see him walking down the runway, bandaged and slinged...what a guy, righ tto the line to serve eggs. Man, if he has twice as much heart as anyone then everyone here is going to be great to meet.

More to recall I'm sure, but what a great time, can't wait til the summer bash, only wild horses could keep me away. Learned alot this weekend, grease management, pit skills, Poobah knows his pits and how to work them for sure. so much more... Scott

PS, the last weekend in october...sworn to secrecy...would have to kill you if I told you... :)

Sounds like you guys did us proud! Wish I could have been there to lend a hand but things have been hectic.

Congrats to all who participated. Sounds like another sucess, makes me proud to be able to say I belong to the Brethren.

Back