Contest Results Pork in the Park Barbeque Festival Salisbury, MD

This was our second PitP and the weather combined with equipment problems to tank our meats. The cyberq wifi went insane and helped us drop from 17th to 98th in brisket.. (ouch.. I wasn't expecting another 17th but .. ouch.)

I agree about the water. They did that to us last time - we were set up basically where Aporkalypse was. Many of the teams got hoses, but everyone back with us had to haul buckets. If you are going to do that, either do it across the board or don't.. I didn't notice any difference between the hookup-permitted tanks and the one we were on.

The weather cooperated just long enough to lull us into a false sense of security. Both ends of the big tent were open and dry until about 3am, when it promptly switched 90 degrees and began blowing 10+ feet in.. (Of course it switched to soak the gear instead of the cooks.)

Congrats to all who walked! :) It was a fun contest, problems aside.

This being our first BIG comp, I think we packed more crap in preparation for this then we would if we were expecting the world to end!!! It took me longer to find things than it did to use them once I found them.

But, I did try to forecast the weather on my own knowing that once the cold front came in, the wind would change. So, we were fortunate enough to park our trucks and U-Haul in the best positions. And, it worked.

One of the things that did get my goat was, the 4-way water hose connector for our 4 sites. They used 1 of the 4 outlets to feed other sites. So, that left only 3 outlets for 4 sites. I am still not sure how 4:20 got water as they were directly behind us and part of the 4 sites; only 3 sites had water connections. (Note: Pack a couple of Y-connectors in with the rest of my crap.)

Mike, I did notice that your area was packed like sardines! That was not good.

Also, as I have learned from camping, BYOTP! The toilet paper in most of the outhouses around us either ran out, or it was so moist that you couldn't unroll it.

Maybe it is just me, but what the heck was up with the eggs?!?! I have never seen eggs like that! I will most definitely plan on cooking our own breakfast going forward; just my preference. It was decent that they had the items they did, but, to each their own.

One of my problems with cooking was I lost almost 2 hours of cook time when I put the butt and brisket in; the temp on the Fat Boy dropped to around 202 and stayed there until about 2:00. I did everything I cold to get the temps up, but some advice later on Saturday helped me to understand why. Again, I learned!

All things considered, we had a good time and met some good folks. Just wish the cold rain had stopped earlier.

One thing that a lot of folks did stop by to talk about was the UDS. A lot of people had never seen one and that was including the other competitors. Did not know it was that "weird". It served its purpose, and we'll use it again.

wallace

As far as I can tell those weren't eggs. They seemed like some sort of plastic stuffing..

Even having only 3 hookups, you were better off than the teams on the far side of the johns.

Behind the stage the water was fine, but the power struggled to get over 101 volts. I was using the stock 15amp line, but some of the teams around us paid extra to get 30 amps, and they also had unusable power. Too many teams on that generator, I think. The electrician was unable to correct the problem.

At least they took out that corner post at the entrance that made for a tight turn. I heard some team hit it in 2012. No idea who. :icon_blush:

I have to agree about the water situation. I have been going to PITP for 5 years and this is the first time we didn't have running water. We got a new water heater this winter and couldn't use it. We also did 't take our turkey fryer to heat water because of the new heater. Thank you Broke Bob BBQ for lending us your turkey fryer. It would have been nice to know before hand that 1/2 the teams that paid the same amount wouldn't have the same water hook ups. Oh we'll we did have fun anyway. 'till awards ceremony��

To bad there isn’t another competition about the same distance for us with a seasoned organizer and better facilities in April next year. :wink:

This being our first BIG comp, I think we packed more crap in preparation for this then we would if we were expecting the world to end!!! It took me longer to find things than it did to use them once I found them.

But, I did try to forecast the weather on my own knowing that once the cold front came in, the wind would change. So, we were fortunate enough to park our trucks and U-Haul in the best positions. And, it worked.

One of the things that did get my goat was, the 4-way water hose connector for our 4 sites. They used 1 of the 4 outlets to feed other sites. So, that left only 3 outlets for 4 sites. I am still not sure how 4:20 got water as they were directly behind us and part of the 4 sites; only 3 sites had water connections. (Note: Pack a couple of Y-connectors in with the rest of my crap.)

Mike, I did notice that your area was packed like sardines! That was not good.

Also, as I have learned from camping, BYOTP! The toilet paper in most of the outhouses around us either ran out, or it was so moist that you couldn't unroll it.

Maybe it is just me, but what the heck was up with the eggs?!?! I have never seen eggs like that! I will most definitely plan on cooking our own breakfast going forward; just my preference. It was decent that they had the items they did, but, to each their own.

One of my problems with cooking was I lost almost 2 hours of cook time when I put the butt and brisket in; the temp on the Fat Boy dropped to around 202 and stayed there until about 2:00. I did everything I cold to get the temps up, but some advice later on Saturday helped me to understand why. Again, I learned!

All things considered, we had a good time and met some good folks. Just wish the cold rain had stopped earlier.

One thing that a lot of folks did stop by to talk about was the UDS. A lot of people had never seen one and that was including the other competitors. Did not know it was that "weird". It served its purpose, and we'll use it again.

wallace

ahhhhh....they were eggs huh? :)

ahhhhh....they were eggs huh? :)

Well, I just wanna see the chickens that those eggs came from! :loco::loco:

And, I am not sure why the there were Swiss cheese type holes in the cake/blob, or whatever it was.

Oh well, I am sure it could've been worse.:wacko:

wallace

Way to go Jay on the GC and the BACK TO BACK GC ('12-'13) in a 105+ teams contest. That's pretty big! :clap::thumb:
Also to Bob on the huge RGC, congrats bud!:clap::thumb:

One thing that made it a little worse was when I got there there were sites with running water open but because they made the isles so narrow we couldn't get into any of them. I don't know where you guys were (I didn't do a lot of walking around Friday evening for obvious reasons) but those of us on the back 9 by the ball field all felt a little claustrophobic.

We weren't the only team that felt that the concert was the star of this year's PITP and the staff felt that the BBQ'rs were an inconvenience.
We got there Thursday night and there was nobody from the event there. Just the security guy. He was nice but had no clue. He showed me the spots that he said were the only 25x25 sites. When I woke up in the morning I found out there was no water in my section and there were pleanty of spots on Thursday night that were empty.

I may be going to DE next year.

I sure hope someone from the organizing committee is hearing these problems.

NOT GOOD!

wallace

Pork in the Park

Thanks to everyone for coming out to Pork in the Park this year! Appreciate reading all of the comments and feedback as it is very helpful for our future preparations...we are addressing the water pressure issue at the park for next year and hope to have that corrected in the next few months.
Enjoyed having you in Salisbury and look forward to Pork in the Park 2014.

Those were not eggs. I don't know what it was, but it was not eggs.

I actually liked the scrapple, though. I didn't think they knew what scrapple was that far north.

Thanks to everyone for coming out to Pork in the Park this year! Appreciate reading all of the comments and feedback as it is very helpful for our future preparations...we are addressing the water pressure issue at the park for next year and hope to have that corrected in the next few months.
Enjoyed having you in Salisbury and look forward to Pork in the Park 2014.

Right on Brother!! Every one has some issues, it is what you do after the issues that define the man (person).

I actually liked the scrapple, though. I didn't think they knew what scrapple was that far north.

Kinda glad I skipped breakfast out in favor of the crabmeat & cheese fatties I cooked Friday. LOL. Went home and finished the trailer plumbing. All the water works now! Should have fixed it before PiTP. All things considered we had a great cook and a great finish! Thanks to Pigheaded for remaining as my neighbor in spite of the water issue.

What then?:shocked::razz:

We had great power, close bathrooms with TP, and a water hookup right behind us that weekend. It was awesome. Oh wait, but we were at....sorry, wrong thread. I'll post in the Kings Mountain thread.

I suppose the identity of the breakfast food alleged to have been eggs will remain a mystery forever, a complete unknown. Sort of like the chicken or the egg, or the tree falling in the forest, or the bear, well, you get the picture, a mystery for the ages. Years from now, they will be asking the same thing...what was that they served claiming to be eggs for breakfast? Perhaps those of us that partook are better off not knowing. However, inquiring minds want, nay, must know......Then again....maybe not.

Back