• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Drunk Uncle's Sticky Pickles

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hey Wampus, you should try these if you want a spicy and addictive BBQ pickle side.

YeloNUTZ' Sticky Pickles (John Chips)

To make your own batch you'll need the following ingredients:

One gallon of whole dill pickles
Four pounds of sugar
Two ounces of Red Pepper sauce like Tabasco or Trappys (I now use Lucky Dog)
One twelve ounce can of jalapeno slices (John uses more, maybe 18-20 ounces and some of the juice)

Drain the pickles and discard the sour brine.
Cut the pickles into slices or spears or whatever suits you.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, Red Pepper sauce and the jalapenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickle slices back into the jar untill it's all in there which takes a little pushin' and packin' towards the end.

During the next couple of hours, turn the jar over every few minutes to agitate the sugar and help it dissolve.

The pickles will give up enough new brine to totally dissolve the sugar over the next couple of hours. Stick'em in the 'fridge and in a couple of days they'll be ready!

They should stay refrigerated.

I cheat and use pre-sliced dill pickle slices, get good ones. For the record, Bread and Butter does not work. I like to flip the jar over a few times over a few days. It helps mix things.

Bob, what kind of pickles are you using? Mt. Olive...???:becky:

Hah! We get Mt. Olive out here.

I use whatever large size they have at the restaurant supply store. For a smaller batch, I use Vlasic

Bob, what kind of pickles are you using? Mt. Olive...???:becky:

Mt. Olive RULES. They're diced jalapenos and their kosher dill relish are ALWAYS in my fridge and pantry. Can't make tuna and/or chicken salad without 'em. :thumb: Never saw an institutional sized jar of their pickles though...

Mt. Olive RULES. They're diced jalapenos and their kosher dill relish are ALWAYS in my fridge and pantry. Can't make tuna and/or chicken salad without 'em. :thumb: Never saw an institutional sized jar of their pickles though...

They got em' in my local Bi-Lo grocery store. (big jars, that is.)

As a matter of fact, I have one in the fridge raat naw!:thumb::wink:

My Mom makes her tater salad with their sweet pickle relish and it don't suck!

Dang. I wonder if I can get my local Mom and Pop to special order a jar. They do have gallon jars of pickles (And pigs feet and boiled eggs too...) but not Mt. Olive brand.

Thank the Lord!

For a minute, I thought Ronelle was running around showing his pickle, AGAIN!:shock:

Thanks, Bob.

I, too, first thought......."Bob's uncle is Ronelle? I never knew Ron to be a big drinker. And his pickle is STICKY?!?!?!" :shock:

But seriously......Bob......you live alone if I'm not mistaken.
You make 1 gallon of these spicy azz pickles at a time?
How often do you do that??? WEEKLY??
Do the ladies like em?

:becky:

Right 'chere, Uncle G.!

th

Mmmm. Goood! 128oz. worth of goood!

He has a simple recipe for those of you who can't follow along.

You take a jar of maraschino cherries, drain the liquid, leave the cherries, and fill it with Everclear. Let it sit for a while. If you want a good night, eat some cherries, if you want a bad morning, drink the liquid.

That is a Very old recipe. When I was a kid I would go to the sale barn for the cow auctions with my Pappa on Thursdays about a 1/2 mile away was a small vendor stand where you could git a Clod samich and a Coke for a 1.00. That old boy used to keep a jar of those pickles and give them out with his samiches. I don't know how long it took Pappa to get the recipe but he finally did that was near 50 year ago and they have been a staple here ever since. I highly recommend them!!

Back