• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beer can chicken

chilidog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a OTS 22" kettle and after reading all the reviews thought I would try beer can chicken but without the beer can. Found a rack that would hold the chicken upright but it wont clear the lid. I had a pretty small chicken (2.3 lbs) and I did get it to clear the lid by pushing the chicken down as far as I could on the holder. The chicken was great but I was wondering if anybody has the same problem and what to do about it in the future?
I used the side pockets for the charcoal and cooked at between 375 and 425 degrees. Can I take the top rack out and put the chicken holder on the charcoal rack? Will this do the job?
Kevin

I have the weber rotisserie ring. When I do beer can chikin I would just put the ring on and have plenty of room. I think I actually did a beer can turkey that way once. :cool:

Do the holes for the rotisserie cause a problem allowing too much air in?

I did a beer can chicken on my kettle. I had to move it more to the middle. Here's a picture. It turned out great. I blackened it, which is what you're seeing in the picture, not burnt:

246816_1773277300113_2123617_n.jpg

I swear by the spatchcock cooking method and usually throw a brick or weight on top for part of the time. I have not tried doing a beer can chicken but its high on my list of things to give a try.

I'll third spatchcocking instead of beer can. A good-sized spatchcocked chicken will be done in about 45 minutes. That said, for space reasons, or to impress guests, I will sometimes still do beer can chickens. I've never had an issue fitting one on the 22.5" OTG. If it is a problem for you, bank coals on either side and put the chicken in the middle of the grill where the dome has the highest clearance.

I noticed the skin was crunchy on the beer can chicken. Cooked it between 375 and 400 degrees. Wife really liked it. Can I get the skin that crunchy if I split it and lay it flat on the grill?

I noticed the skin was crunchy on the beer can chicken. Cooked it between 375 and 400 degrees. Wife really liked it. Can I get the skin that crunchy if I split it and lay it flat on the grill?

Yep. If you cook at that temp again I would say for sure. Now quit skitzin and go spatch a chicken. If it doesn't work out you have earned the right to call us idiots. Worse case you still have chicken for dinner. My money's on you scrapping that whole beer can thing. :thumbup:

Hi Chilidog, I don't know the height of your cover, but this holder I have is just under 8 inches. The narrow upper neck allows passage through the upper neck of the chicken and the whole chicken sits below the top of the holder... I love it.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1X4RC/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01"]Amazon.com: Fox Run Non-Stick Vertical Poultry Roaster: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I think my problem is my holder is too big around and cant get the chicken to slide down far enough to clear the lid. If I push it down as far as I can the ends of the drumsticks are barely touching the bottom vertically. Some of the pictures I have seen the chicken goes down far enough that the drumsticks are almost horizonal with the grill.

I sometimes use chicken sitters to save space on the WSM. I can get more birds in it vertically than by spatchcocking (although I like spatching better). I have both single and double sitters (gifts) and I can get 4 - 6 on the big WSM or the big offset.

I sometimes use chicken sitters to save space on the WSM. I can get more birds in it vertically than by spatchcocking (although I like spatching better). I have both single and double sitters (gifts) and I can get 4 - 6 on the big WSM or the big offset.

I totally agree with this reason for doing beer can chicken (or, as I mentioned, because it impresses some guests). But other than cooking space & for "wow" factor, spatchcocking a chicken is the way to go.

another vote for spatchcocking, its the only way i do it!!!! beer can chicken is much harder to get cooked evenly, not that it cant be done, though. i also like to put wooden skewers through the bird so it makes it easier to handle like this:

yardbird.jpg

the only thing bad about spatchcocking is the chicken doesn't get a beer, and beer is delicious. i make up for it by drinking an extra for the bird.

another vote for spatchcocking, its the only way i do it!!!! beer can chicken is much harder to get cooked evenly, not that it cant be done, though. i also like to put wooden skewers through the bird so it makes it easier to handle like this:

yardbird.jpg

the only thing bad about spatchcocking is the chicken doesn't get a beer, and beer is delicious. i make up for it by drinking an extra for the bird.

I have that exact same knife set... and possibly the same coffee maker!

Back