• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

American Royal Q&A

Friday May 6th seems like a great day to annouce some AR news? Haha.

Anyone heard any details lately?

I keep checking the events page to see if it gets slipped in before the announcement.

A big question I have is what the prices are on the 50' wide sites.

Friday May 6th seems like a great day to annouce some AR news? Haha.

Anyone heard any details lately?

I talked with a board member yesterday and asked if it was on the KCBS's agenda for Wednesdays board meeting. I was told there no....:shocked:

So the Open is factored into the cost of the Space, the Invitational is free for those who have qualified, and the only thing special you need to do is select "yes" to the question that you have qualified for the invite to be signed up for it?
thanks

First time qualifier for the royal. I am wondering the same thing as Untraceable. I sent in my invite sheet that I got in the email yesterday and reserved my spot. Im sending in my check today. I am assuming that your entry fee for the open and invite is basically built into the spot space. Anyone with info on that?

Yeah, By selecting your site, the open fee is factored into that amount. Answering the question yes for invite qualifying signs you up for the Invitational as well.

Seemingly not as expensive as I originally anticipated.

40x50 site plus electricity and porto came out to 1250 (both contest fees factored in). All in all, not that ridiculous in the end

There are certainly some great site options. Its giving me an idea of the differences I'm going to see compared to our Australian comps where the standard is 20' x 20'. We even cooked in a 5' x 20' space last year. I cant wait to see some of the rigs you guys have

Do they still have the Invitational dinner? And do they still have the sauce contest? I haven't cooked the royal in 20 years and it seems in that time a lot of things have changed.

I am considering doing the Royal open for the first time. Is it possible for a one man team to tackle it or do I need to get some help?
Thanks
SCOTTS BBQ SHACK Albuquerque
Competing since 7/15

First of all, welcome to the Brethren. I hope you enjoy your time here.

This is a great question, and I will give you my perspective. For the past 6 years I have been an Ambassador at the Royal - volunteer worker that helps teams with registration, meat inspection, and problem solving.

I have seen one person cook teams at each Royal I have be involved with.

No question, a one person team can COOK this contest.
The problem comes with turn in.
With 650 teams in the 100 acres of speedway infield and 8 miles of total roadways between teams - turn in is frequently a long way off. 10-12 minute walks one way are not unheard of. You can get a sense of the distance once the map for the site gets released. It is not out yet. Cooking and doing your own turn in is difficult to impossible and sure is not advisable.

In my opinion, you need at least a runner that you trust to do your turn ins.
Then there are the crowds. Again in my opinion, you will benefit from having one or two people ahead of the runner clearing the way. I see that all the time, and it helps being able to get to turn in on time.

If you don't have people who can come with you and help, consider asking your new friends on the Brethren to see if there are folks who would help.

For pete's sake, come ahead and enter. It is one whale of a good time.
You will make new friends from all over. Seeing 30,000 people pay to get on the grounds to party on Friday night is a sight to behold - and so is the next few hours ! Being part of 650 teams all turning in within 10 minutes is a one of a kind experience - cause there is only one Royal. Please come and be part of the fun.

Did anyone notice that the KC Royals 2017 schedule was released today, once again they have home games the last weekend of the season.... :(

Back