1st comp coming up, feeling the pressure

I'll make it simple for you.

You're not going to win. So simply enjoy yourself, meet as many other competitors as you can, and take it all in. You'll learn a lot that way, have a great experience and will not risk disappointment.

Take good notes on everything. I usually write them on my score sheets afterward and on my phone during.

I go the disposable route. Disposable cutting boards, pan liners for full size pans, a box of gloves, lots of knives each with a purpose. Trim as much as possible at home. Whatever needs washing goes home in the dirty cooker -- all of which gets washed at home!

This is what we do.

I'll make it simple for you.

You're not going to win. So simply enjoy yourself, meet as many other competitors as you can, and take it all in. You'll learn a lot that way, have a great experience and will not risk disappointment.

What he said. Look, your first comp is a learning experience. We do this to have fun or at least the Polocks do. Go easy on yourself, enjoy your experience and most of all enjoy yourself.

I would suggest practicing cooking during the late night hours – like starting your smoker up at 10 pm or at 2 am. There is a difference to starting up a smoker on a cool / chilly night and starting one up on a sunny warm day. On our first comp we lost over an hour getting up to temp starting the fire the way we did. Plus it was a little difficult for us working at night – we have adequate lights now but we learned the hard way.
We also learned a lot from the first comp we did where it stormed on us – Lord have mercy did we learn a lot.

I ran a full practice comp the week before to get my timing down and get one out of the way so to speak. I was more nervous when I did that, than when I actually competed. Being at a comp and the fun atmosphere, BBQ camaraderie and all that goes along with it, just made it so fun I didn't feel nervous, and I did well.

But again, a full practice cook is a good idea.

+1.

Once you get there and get set-up, get meat inspected, have a beer or 2, you'll find it much more relaxing, until Saturday morning around 9:00. Then reality sets in! This is the fun part of "anxiety"!

Enjoy it as time will fly by!

wallace

Do not "over-think" this!!

You have done a ton of prep work!

Put it to use---Just go cook, use what you have learned, and have a great time!!!

This is supposed to be fun--at least that is what they all tell me :oops:

TIM

A couple rubber floor mats in your cook area will save your feet. And a table raised up to the right height will save your back. We learned those lessons the hard way.

I got a length of 1 1/2" pvc pipe and cut it into 8 inch chunks and put them over the legs to raise our tables up, works like a charm.

I got a length of 1 1/2" pvc pipe and cut it into 8 inch chunks and put them over the legs to raise our tables up, works like a charm.

That sounds like a hot tip, thank you.

I don't really drink so we are safe to not eat drunk. Time for some full blown practice runs! The folks at work love when I bring in leftovers

Rookie mistake I made: make sure you have a canopy with WALLS. Rain splashes in about 3 feet from the edge...figure out how much of a dry area you have in a 10x10 without walls. :becky:

With all the comps in CA it would be hard for me to wait till April. Best of luck, if you have any questions just ask, the Brethren are great and love to help.

All the things already said and once there, don't worry about what everyone else is doing...stay on YOUR plan and focus on the details.

That sounds like solid advice, I'm not too nervous. I'm more excited than anything. My plan is to have fun, meet the turn in's and just stay the course.

Best advice I can give is to shoot for the beginning of the turn in window and then still give yourself a few minutes of a buffer. Having it ready 5 minutes early never caused a DAL. 5 seconds late? almost always.

Back