• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bought my first butt...help needed

sorry to bug ya out noob, but i didn't see anywhere here or otherwise suggesting to season a BBQ butt 2 days in advance. you're adding a variable to your flavor profile*gulp*that is unaccounted for in our advice.

i've never done it. never will but i'm interested in your results.

BTW, i also didn't see any suggestion to wrap @ 165*.

just cook the farker, farker. :becky:

if you want to wrap, do it by color. nice mahogany.

OK....a show of hands.....how many think that he's "overthinking"? :clap2:

Believe it or not, it's much easier than you think. When the bane can be pulled out by hand, you're done. Yum.

sorry to bug ya out noob, but i didn't see anywhere here or otherwise suggesting to season a BBQ butt 2 days in advance. you're adding a variable to your flavor profile*gulp*that is unaccounted for in our advice.

i've never done it. never will but i'm interested in your results.

BTW, i also didn't see any suggestion to wrap @ 165*.

just cook the farker, farker. :becky:

if you want to wrap, do it by color. nice mahogany.

The wrap idea came from the post prior to my mentioning wrapping. (post #27) For a moment i thought it was thursday and i was planning on cooking "tomorrow". But i have no issue cooking tomorrow "thursday". Just means i'll enjoying my pulled pork sooner

There are lots of ways to get to a good butt. Different temps, different rubs, wrappng/not wrapping, injecting or not, etc. Just enjoying the process and relaxing is great advice. Go with whatever your plan may be from gleaning info on the site and roll with it. In the worst case pizza is usually a phone call away. Anything past that is good grub!

you can do that, my friend, for sure. i wrap myself. HOWEVER, you need to put your filter on. the first words of that post are i did my FIRST butt this superbowl.

no offense poster of said post.

I just wanted the juciest butt possible and foil holding juices i can add back seemed like a good idea. Remember i've done 0 butts and it is my nature to "mesure twice & cut once." So sorry for over thinking lol

ha! funny.

but thats for construction. for cooking it's cut, cut, cut, measure. cut, cut, cut, measure. repeat.

I find excessive, or in my case normal drinking eases the mind, then i tend to just do and not think as much lol

You will be fine, nothing is written in stone, try it one way, change it up next time if you want.

have fun with it.

I just wanted the juciest butt possible and foil holding juices i can add back seemed like a good idea. Remember i've done 0 butts and it is my nature to "mesure twice & cut once." So sorry for over thinking lol

I wrap with Stubbs pork marinade and save the juices to put back after I pull.

In hour 7 and had to pull it from the cooker cuz i ran out of fuel. 20lbs of stubbs and 16lbs of kingsford. Something went very wrong today with fire management. First two hours averaged about 220-230 and after i added kingsford it hovered from 285-300 for the next 5 hours.

At the 7 hour mark the IT was 180°F so i wrapped it and stuck it in the oven at 275°F and ill pull it when it reaches 195+ and putting in cooler w/ towels for at least 90 min+. it looks so good

How solid is the bone? Does it feel like you could pull it out?

But yea, if you used 36 pounds of fuel, and only got 7 hours.....hmmm......
I can maintain 12 hours at 225 with 16 pounds of Kingford.

Bone wiggles but doesnt come loose.

Fark the guys that told me to relax. Having Parrot Bay 90proof coconut rum with 0 calorie tropical punch. 7 1oz shots later and i am farking buzzing hardcore.

Im not a heavy drinker, i was 5 years ago.

Bone wiggles but doesnt come loose.

Fark the guys that told me to relax. Having Parrot Bay 90proof coconut rum with 0 calorie tropical punch. 7 1oz shots later and i am farking buzzing hardcore.

Im not a heavy drinker, i was 5 years ago.

ahh thats the problem

you need to be drinking beer

cheap beer

then all goes as planned ;)

:laugh: I hate to say it, but the advice of relaxing is a good one.
I'm not sure what's up with your fire though, that one's puzzling.
Did you use the Monion Method of building the fire? Or did you build it old school and have a raging inferno, then shut it down to get the temps you're looking for?

:laugh: I hate to say it, but the advice of relaxing is a good one.
I'm not sure what's up with your fire though, that one's puzzling.
Did you use the Monion Method of building the fire? Or did you build it old school and have a raging inferno, then shut it down to get the temps you're looking for?

I lit a chimeny of stubbs and layed it on a bed of sfubbs kinda pushed to the sides as ive been suggested. Although stubbs produced hardly any ash, it was cold. Could not get to 300 to save my life. So i bought 16 lb'er of good ole kingford and it saved my cook. Its about 8 hrs in and just reached 195. Gonna double wrap it and let it rest for at least 2-3 hrs

Before you wrap make sure it probes tender and the bone wiggles

Bone does wiggle but didnt come out. Beautiful bark. Earlier today i read about cross hatching and saw a couple of vids on "hot & fast" butt.....what is cross hatching?

Back