Injections

Yes, primarily salt can dry out the meat.

If you want to start trying/using injections (I do and have bee largely pleased with the results), I suggest that you start with simple ingredients, and in small amounts.

For example, most competitors start out with their own version of the highly published Chris Lilly's injection. I happen to find his injection unbelievably salty. Most competitors (on pork mind you) use apple juice, a little worchestershire sauce, and a little of their rub (not so much that it clogs their injector) and inject about an hour, give or take, before they put the meat on the smoker.

The reason I say "competitors" use this, is because they know to not having something too strong one way or another so as to offend anyone.

There are all types of injections you can try. Some like the vinegar based, others the creole butter based, some coke or dr. pepper based, etc.

Like Lake Dogs said, apple juice for pork. Beef broth work well for brisket. My experience: don't buy an expensive injector. The cheaper ones work just as well.

I heard a good tip once that has served me well concerning salt content for injections. When you are making your injection you want it to taste just slightly saltier than what you would consider enjoyable. Basically when you taste the injection by itself your reaction should read "man that tastes good, but its a little salty.

A good way to achieve this is by using beef or chicken base. Just mix them strong enough with water until the water is as salty as you want. Then you can add other ingredients that won't interfere with the salt level.

Back