The problem with a simple salt & pepper rub is ...

They are the same peppercorns, just different ripeness when picked...and black is the hotter one.
Different peppercorns have different heat profiles but as Boshizzle said, the grind particle size is what you need to focus one here, then volume porportion.
Grind in larger particle sizes for less heat.

Bucc, I wont post websites because there is a wide difference in opinion weather or not white is the hotter of the pepper. I have always understood it is but do not use if very often and then only in mashed potatoes sometimes. The last time I did they were not good and now that I have read up on it, the quality makes a big difference in taste so maybe if I can find some I will give it a go. I agree with you and others the course grind is a good thing.

On a different note which you did not post about, sugar. I said it can be used to reduce the heat from almost anything just like dairy products or bread and so the op may consider using sugar for that purpose at some time before or after the cook. As for a bark well it may deeply darken the meat appearance and if burnt will cause it to seem like a bark but not a true bark as far as I am concerned.
Dave

Shipping is just too expensive in most cases, and I tend not not buy ready-made rubs, but mix my own. Most likely I'll be in the US next year, then I'll bring a huge shopping list with me. :smile:

Good find for the self-made lemon pepper, I didn't know that it's lemon cest being used, I'll definitely try that for myself.

Yep, been there, done that.... Literally I mean, we went to California this summer and went on a shopping frenzy... I did have to pay a bit overweight on the luggage though :mad:
It's a good thing the 12 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's were plastic... and they were on sale at Walmart.:becky:

Let us know how the home-made lemon pepper turned out !

So does lemon pepper go well with pork?

Is lemon pepper usually made with black pepper, or blended peppers as well?

Since I never heard of it before I am fascinated by the idea of making my own lemon pepper for using on this weekends pork shoulder roast, and I think I can get a mixture of whole black + white peppers + red berries here locally, so I would like to try such a blended lemon peppers mixture.
Lemon Pepper works well with pork, go for it. It also works well with the mixed peppercorns.

Yep. Truth is, all of my rub recipes start with my basic Mother Rub, and either dehydrated lemon or orange rind is a part of that mix. I have been using lime powder of late, because I have a bunch of it that needs to go away. But, I really like adding a little citrus zest to any meat dish.

Wow, a 50/50 mix of just salt and pepper for a rub is too much. Just sprinkle it on. I use a rub of equals parts onion and garlic powder, and salt and paprika, then half black and red pepper.

After the huge success with self-made lemon pepper two weeks in a row (documented here and here), I am wondering if lemon zest can be substituted with orange zest.

Did anybody ever try orange pepper, and would it go well with pork?

I think you just volunteered yourself to be the forum guinea pig!

Back