• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just Can't Eat Commercial Sauce Anymore

but the sauce has left a film in my mouth that may take 8-10 Beers to get out.

Ahahahaha. I use KC Masterpiece from the store for babybacks with 1/2-2/3 cup of apple cider vinegar and a can of tomato paste, along with some ground red and black pepper

I've made a couple dozen different homemade bbq sauces over the years and then I came to my senses. After a while, everything just started to taste the same. I mean, there are only so many bases you can start with such as ketchup, tomato sauce or apple cider vinegar and sooner than later every different sauce you make tastes like the one before it. That's just my take on things. Now I just leave the sauce making to much better men and women. High fructose corn syrup or not. If it's tasty I'll buy it.

Funny... this is pretty much why I stopped using commercial BBQ sauce. After a while everything started tasting too much like Kraft Original.

On occasion I'll use Sweet Baby Rays or Sticky Fingers mixed with pineapple juice.

I like Sweet Baby Ray's for my beef but I'd like to get away from the commercial stuff as well. I rub beef down with a saltier rub and SBR compliments it well. Has anyone got any recipes that may be similar to SBR.

It'd be all good if people used Blues Hog for sauce instead of Kraft BBQ sauce or some other generic sauce. I like many rubs and sauces made by others - but not the ones in the grocery store (unfortunately up here there is only crap sauces on the shelves and I have to order form the US).

However - I do make my own pulled pork sauce and would never even consider any other sauce, commercial or homemade, for it....

Stubbs Original is a great basting sauce for ribs, but I have to say I prefer ribs dry.

All my friends love the Stubbs on ribs.

If it was my choice of sauces, I'd go with a bourbon honey mustard home made concoction. Got some steeping in the fridge for 2 months, it's smooth, sweet,and hot, with a very long finish. Love it!

I've always been surprised that so many folks out there enjoy Sweet Baby Ray's, but different strokes for different folks. To me their original tastes like most of those bbq sauces you get at fast food joints. I do have to admit that their raspberry flavor is pretty good though, but only one local Wal-Mart carries it. For my money though, the two best traditional "red" sauces that I've ever tasted are Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy and Big Bob Gibson's Championship Red. Hands down.

Lots of interesting viewpoints and tastes expressed. I prefer my own sauce on BBQ pork sandwiches made with butt or picnic but on ribs I must admit that I like the sauce to be hot and full of vinegar. For that, I turn to Scott's Eastern NC BBQ sauce. Cayenne pepper and Scott's BBQ sauce is my perfect combination for ribs.

No sauce on brisket please, and on chicken I prefer a nice dry rub.

This is the only "store bought" sauce I use. I usually buy it in the gallon jug for catering gigs. Pretty good for pulled pork.

Ribs2f.jpg

1 24 oz bottle of non high fructose catsup. (I use Hunt's)
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar.
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar.
1/3 Cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar.
1/4 Cup Mike's Hot Honey. http://www.mikeshothoney.com/Home.html Or your favorite honey.
1/4 Cup Tabasco Chipotle Sauce.
1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce.
1 Tsp Garlic Powder.
1/2 Cup of your favorite jelly. (I use non high fructose Grape for Beef and Chicken and Apple for Pork)

I did leave out one ingredient as I plan on selling the sauce. This is a pretty good recipe though.

i'm on board with you 100%, but those are all commercial ingredients.

what separates that from a commercial sauce?

1 24 oz bottle of non high fructose catsup. (I use Hunt's)
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar.
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar.
1/3 Cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar.
1/4 Cup Mike's Hot Honey. http://www.mikeshothoney.com/Home.html Or your favorite honey.
1/4 Cup Tabasco Chipotle Sauce.
1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce.
1 Tsp Garlic Powder.
1/2 Cup of your favorite jelly. (I use non high fructose Grape for Beef and Chicken and Apple for Pork)

I did leave out one ingredient as I plan on selling the sauce. This is a pretty good recipe though.

i'm on board with you 100%, but those are all commercial ingredients.

what separates that from a commercial sauce?

I don't know, but his sauce is pretty damn good. I've had a sample (He was giving away samples on another board). I'm looking forward to its commercial availability.

We not only have to make our own bbq sauce now, but we can't stand commercial salad dressing, and make all that ourselves now too. Talk about a film in your mouth!

I've mixed my own once or twice, but I admit to liking SBR and Open Pit original. SBR is a bit sweet, but that can be fixed easy enough.

Back