What cooker would you switch to?

no limitation on cost really..we will be pushing ifi to a toy hauler that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of the change..I'll still keep our MAK in the mix as well..so many options..I've cooked on most types that have been mentioned except a backwoods or Jambo..I'm really looking for something consistent temp wise and fuel efficient.

Gotcha. So really you could go with any suggestion that has been said. Pretty much all gravity feds run efficiently and are fuel efficient, as do FEC's, as do Backwoods, pitmakers, etc. You could probably put all the names in a hat and do a blind draw to make your choice and do well. That would be pretty fun actually :becky:. I say draw from a hat.

Jambo or R&O offset will be my next smoker.... before the year is up I will have one or the other.

But I do LOVE my Backwoods Compeditor she is a Smokin' Machine!!!!

I'm really looking for something consistent temp wise and fuel efficient.
I can fill my charcoal basket up on a prewarmed vault with a few wood chunks and run over 20 hrs easy. If you were using them nasty kingsfor d's you could probably get over 30 hrs filled up. This setup went 10 hrs @300 the other day. Added a chunk of wood every 2 hrs. Just cruised along. once it ran out of fuel, it was 250 4 hrs later still. That was HEB hardwood briquettes 8.4lbs
Could have easily fit 3 bags=25#
92B367E7-1438-4721-BB2C-1421FD874A91-249-00000018246B668B.jpg

Gotcha. So really you could go with any suggestion that has been said. Pretty much all gravity feds run efficiently and are fuel efficient, as do FEC's, as do Backwoods, pitmakers, etc. You could probably put all the names in a hat and do a blind draw to make your choice and do well. That would be pretty fun actually :becky:. I say draw from a hat.

Yeah that would be fun..I've cooked on FEC,big green egg,WSM's,CTO,lots of different stick burners and offsets..I want to give a gravity feed and backwoods a try soon..then I'll have a good idea..while I'd love a Jambo even the carts are tanks and I'm trying to kinda get away from pushing around another big pit..I really like the product that pellets produce(color,bark set time)but then you have to always worry about parts and electricity..hmmm..so many options.

Backwoods!!!!! Get to sleep and enjoy my fav libation............but you know that already, dont you???

Honestly, for what we do, the BW's line are great cookers. Efficient and consistent, they always produce for us. To me there are to many variables in other cookers....and that doesnt include the need for someone to constantly feed the beast wood. Jambos are awesome cookers, no doubt about that, but they dont suit our cooking style.

We cooked on WSM's for the last 4 years but made the switch this season to MAK's for our big meats and chicken. We will still do our ribs on the WSM (or perhaps a Backwoods Chubby in the future) until MAK comes out with that water pan mod...hint...hint Bob! Lol! We are limited to weight as well so any heavy pits are outta the picture...for now.

Backwoods!!!!! Get to sleep and enjoy my fav libation............but you know that already, dont you???

Honestly, for what we do, the BW's line are great cookers. Efficient and consistent, they always produce for us. To me there are to many variables in other cookers....and that doesnt include the need for someone to constantly feed the beast wood. Jambos are awesome cookers, no doubt about that, but they dont suit our cooking style.

This speaks volumes to me Chris thank you..and I hear most people would favor a backwoods especially for ribs..and that's been our trouble meat lately..we cook kinda right in the middle(7hr cook)and cook by color and bark..I'm going to try the BW soon..maybe a gravity side by side so I could really see..plus our old girl has had a nice long run and can still put out great food but I think it screams to me sometimes..I'm tired let me stay home!..haha

What does an empty Backwoods competitor weigh?

Website says, 350lbs. I think they are alittle heavier.....

Matt what I like about the BW's for ribs, is that, when Dan (or I) starts cutting the rack, we can pick any bone to use. With a WSM, or some other cookers, the end bones tend to get charred/overdone, and useless. This is hard, especially if the rack is a good one and you're trying to fill the box with that one rack.

My first BW's was a Party, and I used it with a BBQ Guru Caldera Tallboy. There were big differences between the two cookers, although both were vertical systems.

It's all about what you are trying to accomplish and the level of comfort you want in get that done. They are all good cookers........we wouldn't be talking about any of them, if they weren't............

You said you like pellet cookers, definitely check out the YS 1320. Very easy, versatile, and consistent. I love mine.

I just wish I had my CTO mounted on a trailer with a porch so I don't have to drag that sucker up and a ramp.

I love my abs bar be cube, its small enough for backyard and big enough for a kcbs. but for a mbn event i sure would love the lang or a meadow creek decked out with chrome.

We added a new cooker this year. We've been using our MAK with a 18" WSM. We looked at the Backwoods, Pitmaker Safe, and the Rebel 17. Because we intended to still use the MAK, we need a smaller footprint to fit in the back of a pickup. Tough choice since they are all great units. We chose the Rebel, and have really like it so far. Two calls at Sams last week and they both came off the Rebel, pork and brisket.

Switch, no. Quite happy with my SouthernQ gravity feed. I would like to own one of their large water pan smokers one day for whole hog. Would also like to play around with an FEC, simply because a pellet grinder is the one type of smoker I've never owned.

This speaks volumes to me Chris thank you..and I hear most people would favor a backwoods especially for ribs..and that's been our trouble meat lately..we cook kinda right in the middle

We have a number of cookers, but the FEC and Chubby (for ribs) seem to be getting us the best results.

Back