Drying brown sugar in the oven for rubs

McEvoy AZ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I saw on Triple D last night that 2 of the resturants featured used brown sugar that had been dried in the oven and ground fine in a food processor. Has anyone tried this? Does Turbinado sugar the same if ground fine? What is the science behind this? Does it help prevent the brown sugar from melting together?

Brown sugar is regular white sugar with molasses added in. Turbinado sugar is just a little less refined sugar with the molasses still in. Sounds like nothing more than a gimmick to me.

Go turbinado. I use to wonder the same thing about brown sugar. Ten I tried turbinado sugar. Haven't looked back since then. Plus turbinado can withstand higher temps so you don't get a burnt sugar taste on your final product. Try it just one time and see for yourself.

He was just taking the moisture out of it so it doesn't clump when mixing the rub. I've heard of people spreading it out on a cookie sheet and let it dry that way. Me?, I just break up any clumps.

Just buy brownulated brown sugar if you want a clump free version of it. It's available at most grocery stores.

I've done it, turns it into a more manageable powder and will prevent clumping in the shaker. If it's going to sit on the shelf dry it, if you're going to use it right away don't bother.

for those of you that use turbinado do you grind it into smaller grains

Good question. Yes, I run it through my spice grinder (spare coffee grinder) on coarsest setting. I also use the same grinder to mix most of my rubs. Just toss all the ingredients in hopper and run it through on super coarse a couple times. Gets it mixed up and all same size.

I wouldn 't recommend a blade type grinder for this. Only a decent burr style grinder.

On the original question, yes I've dried out brown sugar in the oven before. It works to keep it from clumping. But I no longer use brown sugar in anything. Turbinado is easier to work with and seems to hold up to heat better than brown.

Back