• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spatchcock Chicken, Campfire Potatoes, and Beef Stew

Fake Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Spatchcocked a chicken and embraced the fall weather. At the same time that I was cooking chicken on the kettle, my wife was putting together an amazing beef stew!

Spatchcocked and covered in McCormicks Montreal Chicken. The chicken marinated overnight in Italian Dressing. I planned on a brine of salt and brown sugar, but had to work on saturday night, and didnt have time. Cooked for 2 hours around 270 with a few small chunks of cherry wood. The skin turned out LOOKING beautiful, but was not crispy. Too tough. Think I shoulda gone half hour then direct to get a crisp. The potatoes and onions were delicious and so easy.
image_zps701ecee0.jpg

image_zpsaa914a3a.jpg

image_zpscc605652.jpg

image_zps4d8152a4.jpg

image_zpsa96bceb2.jpg

image_zps58b99296.jpg

image_zps3c937095.jpg

Found out Yuengling has a porter, and thought it was perfect for the weather. Built a fire with my 2 year olds "help". Gonna be enjoying this delicious beef stew over the next few days. Thanks for looking.

Looks delicious, I too spatched a chicken last night but failed as a brethen to take pics of the process, mine to turned out a perfect color, the skin was better than normal but still not as crunchy and bite through as I know it should be, had a hell of a time getting temp up on the IDS, time for her winter coat.

Thanks for the good words, Brethren.

Got some advice on cooking it high heat, like at 325-350. Was told it'll take care of any skin issues and make sure that it's crisp and crunchy. Was very happy with the meat quality, but it's great to learn something with every cook.

Not sure which I like best, everything looks fantastic!!

Chicken looks delicious. The chicken that you have there looks like a pastured raised hen.

So much flavor and texture compared to foster farms chicken but not as forgiving due to fat content.

I have had luck on the kettle half chimney of unlit charcoals banked to one side the other half of the chimney is fully lit and than poured over the unlit. Intake and exhaust vents wide open until thin blue smoke exits the kettle. Cooked indirect until 160. Skin side up.

With this method I noticed the skin is bite through and crispy with the meat really juicy. This has been my experience with the pastured hens at least here in Southern California.

Back