THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really depends on if you have a moist cooking environment or not. When I cooked on a Stumps, I never used the water pan because it stayed so moist anyway. And I've never found a need for trying to set one up with my Lang 60D now. I always find with the thighs it's more of a challenge of cooking temp, not moisture.

I just did leg quarters this weekend and did not use a water pan. I have used that technique in the past with beer in the water pan. It works great. However, the leg quarters stay moist pretty well on their own.

I brine my chicken thighs, and finish them right over the coals to crisp the skin a bit - no water pan.

I brine my chicken thighs, and finish them right over the coals to crisp the skin a bit - no water pan.
THIS is Farkin' Great! I like to use a dry brine. Cover the thighs with Kosher salt, place in a glass pan, cover with plastic wrap (or use a plastic bag) and put in the fridge for a couple, three hours. Then rinse well with cold water, pat dry with paper towel, bathe them in olive oil, grind a little fresh pepper on both sides & on the smoker they go. Super moist & tasty. No water pan. Cheers!!!

Back