• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2013 Weber Jumbo Joe quality control issues...

I picked up a JJ a month or so ago and had the exact same experience with the porcelain at the lid bale connection point. I did call Weber and while they told me it would not rust they did agree to send a new bowl, as usual their customer service was great. I have not received the new bowl yet to compare, but for me in the end it's probably more cosmetic than anything else as I won't be leaving it outside. It's still not right though especially for a Weber product. In looking at that hole it seems that whatever process they use (punch?) stressed those points enough to weaken the porcelain, I would think they shoot the paint after it's punched/drilled but not sure on that.
ancy0j.jpg

vnctac.jpg

You should forward a link to this thread to the appropriate people at Weber so they can see that it's not an isolated issue.

I picked up a JJ a month or so ago and had the exact same experience with the porcelain at the lid bale connection point. I did call Weber and while they told me it would not rust they did agree to send a new bowl, as usual their customer service was great. I have not received the new bowl yet to compare, but for me in the end it's probably more cosmetic than anything else as I won't be leaving it outside. It's still not right though especially for a Weber product. In looking at that hole it seems that whatever process they use (punch?) stressed those points enough to weaken the porcelain, I would think they shoot the paint after it's punched/drilled but not sure on that.
ancy0j.jpg

vnctac.jpg

That's what I have seen on the two I bought and also on display. The washer takes a big chip out of the porcelain. It seems to me that the angle of the lid holder wire is cocking the washers slightly causing them to dig into the side of the kettle. When the lid holder is locked on the bracket, there is a good bit of pressure on the washers. I wonder if you could bend the ends of the bail wire where they enter the kettle to alleviate this? Or maybe that would throw off the geometry of the bail and it wouldn't line up correctly to use as the lid holder?

I know it is a cosmetic defect, but it still bugs me on a new product. It seems like with a bit of design tweaking of the bail wire the problem could be eliminated, but who knows? And I still think it will be prone to rust with the porcelain chipped off. Maybe I am just being to too picky, it's not a Mercedes!

Are you putting the lid on wit the vents open or closed? If closed, that may be causing it to stick.

Seriously? I can not imagine a closed vent creating enough of a vacuum to hold the lid on.

CD

Can someone measure the inside diameter of their Weber Jumbo Joe bowl? I bought a middle section for my 18.5 Masterbuilt kettle but it is too big. The seller says it fits all 18.5 WSM's. I would like to fit this on a 18.5 JJ if possible.
thx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320835277444?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Mine isn't perfectly round, but the top opening is just under 18" in one spot and just over in another. There is a lip where the cooking grate sits just below the top rim and that is about 17 5/8".

You might want to check this out. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6070-Using-a-ProQ-WSM-stacker

Also this, but I think he was using the old Jumbo Joe.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143720

I just found this too. http://www.macsbbqforum.com/f25-proq-bbq-smokers

Last edited:
again, i looked at one at the store and the angle of the wire at the end is to extreme and really puts a bind on the hole and porcelain. i suggest that the angle be decreased before installing. the holes are punched first befor the porcelain is spraued on so thats not the problem..

I received my replacement bowl and lid from Weber today. Kudos to Weber for outstanding customer service. I spoke to them Wednesday afternoon and the packages were delivered today, Friday, in MA. They shipped them FedEX overnight! Amazing. And thanks to FedEx for making the delivery here today in 2 feet of snow. I'm ready for spring!

I didn't even open the boxes yet. The deliveryman put them in my garage as I was outside cleaning snow. I am beat. But I am a diehard, after all the snow was cleared, I set my table up in the driveway and fired up the old Smokey Joe and cooked some Tilapia with a tiny bit of Apple for smoke. I also grilled these killer steak fries I get from my local butcher shop and I made a grilled banana for desert.

for sure don't use it till this issue is solved. i still think its the degree of the angle of the end of the wire/bail that is the issue. my old sj platinum doesn't have this issue.

I'm wondering if you could use a pair of vice grips to correct the angle of the wire and then hit up ace hardware and get some fiber washers (I think they are heat resistant) and put them between the bowl and metal washer... might even try a few stacked washers to see if it will isolate the wire bails a little better... totally spit balling here since I haven't been able to play with one, just hate to see you have the same problem with this one! :thumb:

I'm wondering if you could use a pair of vice grips to correct the angle of the wire and then hit up ace hardware and get some fiber washers (I think they are heat resistant) and put them between the bowl and metal washer... might even try a few stacked washers to see if it will isolate the wire bails a little better... totally spit balling here since I haven't been able to play with one, just hate to see you have the same problem with this one! :thumb:

If I do any playing around with the bail wire I will test it on the one that is already chipped. The problem isn't the kettle, the problem is the bail wire. If I straighten the ends of the wire where it goes into the kettle, it may mess up the geometry when using if to hold the lid. The fiber washers are an idea to try too as long as they don't melt. I can use the damaged one to test with and then if it works I can do the same to the replacement kettle. I might have to by another bail wire if I mess up the one I have, but I think that straightening the ends is going to move the hoop further away from the kettle and it may mess up using it for a lid holder and holding the grill closed.

the bail or wire can be bent at the top/sides so that it will hold down the lid rather easily if that becomes an issue. i would use a vise to hold the wire while bending it. i don't think it will take much to do it.

I unpacked my replacement lid and kettle today. Both came with the vents installed, still with a screw and nut, and both work fine and don't scrape the porcelain. The bowl is nice and flat and doesn't rock at all on a smooth hard surface. Unfortunately, the kettle lid is still slightly warped and the lid does stick to the kettle bottom just as it has on the two I bought and the ones I saw set up in store. Something is amiss here and I don't think it is an isolated occurrence.

I either accept it for what it is or take it back and get a refund and hope that Weber address the problem in the future. It's killing me not to use this thing as it would have been my grill of choice a few times already. What do you guys think?

if it were me i would call again, tell them that weber has let you down and you think you need to move on as their quality seems to have gone down the drain. see what they say. then just bend the lid back a bit and get on with cooking. i for one have not been impressed by their quality nor service for a while but even then its still way better than anything else out there. its why i try to get used stuff, no problems if there are issues. i know there is no choice on the new jj but still you do need to run them to the ground till they get it right.

My lid sticks a little. I've been cooking on it and it's been fine. I haven't closely examined it though. I put it together, lit some charcoal, and threw on some meat - several times. So far, so good. I've only done direct and indirect grilling - no long cooks. Do as you will, but IMO if you just get to cooking you'll probably be glad that you did.

Not be an Arse .Here But Its 60 bucks for a 18 portable charcaol grill ..In all seriousness what do you really expect ? its a" portable" not like the kettles we are used to .. In My world this is an item that can replicate to a degree the preformance most people are used to from a regular patio 22.5 .. In my world this would have a life of about 4-5 years and I would not blink twice ... My expectaions maybe lower but for its intended use and price point ...the complaints seem minor to the final product of the food it produces. Jm 2 pence.

I think you guys are right. It's going to cook just fine and it'll get dirty quick enough and I won't even care.

Didn't weber start having there products made out of the country recently?

I thought I heard something like that but could be mistaken.

Its a Weber product and the price is high for what it is, just like all their other products.

I would expect it to be made of the same quality all the rest of their products are, which is very high.

yep, any damage on my cookers should be done by me, not bad design.

Back