• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Venting the Spice

R

Roo-B-Q'N

Ok we got the large Spicewine on the new trailer and to avoid the top of the back deck from getting black, we placed two flexible dryer vents over the two stacks and then ran them above the roof . This did work for a bit, but so much humidity built up in one of the vents that it condensated and since I had so much of a bend, it filled up in the bend and eventually dumped all over the back of the cooker and onto the deck. Took the bend out and it did not collect anymore, however, a bunch of black grease and condensation dripped on to and then down the side. took an hour to clean the cooker and deck up. Don't want to do that everytime.

Here is a picture of the set up. Currently we have the cooker strapped down, but wil have it permanetly mounted closer to edge, and the forward part of the back deck. Any ideas on venting this?

DSCF0027Small.jpg

I had the same problem with mine on the covered patio. I took off the chrome piece on the exhaust and got a threaded pipe connector and put it on the pipe above the valve. Then go a piece of 2" curved electrical pipe and threaded it on to the connector. Works like a charm.:biggrin:

1000335ym1.jpg

I've never tried this, but it seems like the setup you described would be OK if you just punched a small drain hole through the flexible pipe at the low point. That way smoke will go up and water can drain down.

If you could find some plain old stove pipe that size would work great

C'mon - what's a little smoke...

I am not worried about the smoke I do not want the smoke to cause staining and discoloration of the roof on the deck of the trailer. Scott from We'll Smoke U had problems with this in the past.

You should be able to find some exhaust extensions from a truck supply company. Just measure the outside diameter of your pipe and google the id of the extension you need.

I am not worried about the smoke I do not want the smoke to cause staining and discoloration of the roof on the deck of the trailer. Scott from We'll Smoke U had problems with this in the past.

I know what you're talking about. I was just giving you grief. I've been cooking under a tent for the last 3 weeks and even though the tent is a good 2 feet higher than my trailer it's got a nice pattern above the pipes.

That's why Black Trailers work better than any other color of trailer.

I asked about this when I was pondering what my second smoker might be on the trailer. What about cutting a hole in the roof and venting directly through the roof? If you don't want a tall stack on your Spice that may affect the draw, think about a 4", 6" or 10" pipe that simply "hovers" over your spice that will guide the smoke through the roof. This sound have minimal to no affect on the performance of the cooker.

Still love that color. Excellent choice. Cooker looks hot on there. Can't wait to see it.

Pipe Dia. is 2" inside. It's water pipe, tapered thread and all. That's why the 2" electrical conduit works. It's lighter than water pipe and paintable. I tried a lot of different things and the long sweep of the electrical conduit pipe didn't hurt the draw. I did find that I didn't need to turn it back up, just straight back. When I turned it back up, it did mess with the draw. Might be it was too long or too high to draw right. I did find that anywhere the pipe did not fit tight it would drip. Tried the pipe into the bigger pipe and it dripped everywhere. this exhaust does drip now, but it is only at the end of the pipe and not on the smoker. Turning the pipe back up just lets the water run all the way down the pipe to the smoker. what a mess.

Last edited:
Back