• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ok guys help me make up my mind!!!

Humphrey's are sturdier than BWS, but they aren't going to break your back. Or your wallet. You can get the Pint which is basically the same size as a G2 Party for around $800 less and it's only 30-40 pounds more in weight.

And that extra weight matters :p. There are times where I have to load them myself. I've looked into Humphries. No reason to change cookers every week :shock:.

I know lots of guys are abandoning backwoods for Humphries but it doesn'twork for me.

Last time I checked, the #1 kcbs team in the nation is a backwoods team and backwoods has numerous mim world championships. Pretty sure these accomplishments speak for the quality of them. This being said, to the point of the original post: there are numerous good cookers out there. Figure out what 'style' you think fits you and stick with a brand that has been around a long time and don't get caught up in some of these smaller 'fad' cookers and companies. They will be gone in 5 years and you will be stuck with something that is worthless. Tried and true cooker companies will be here for the long haul. Do this and you will be ok. My top list of these: backwoods, stumps, fec, meadow creek, spicewine, and superior. My top of these for what you are looking for: backwoods G2 fatboy, meadow creek bx50, and the superior ss2 are my favorites. Fec for pellets is hard to beat.

stick with a brand that has been around a long time and don't get caught up in some of these smaller 'fad' cookers and companies. They will be gone in 5 years and you will be stuck with something that is worthless. Tried and true cooker companies will be here for the long haul. Do this and you will be ok.

Excellent advice! :clap2:

Humphrey's are sturdier than BWS, but they aren't going to break your back. Or your wallet. You can get the Pint which is basically the same size as a G2 Party for around $800 less and it's only 30-40 pounds more in weight.

I'm going to disagree. If you are comparing say a Party or a Chubby to a heavier cooker, like a Humphrey's, then maybe so, but you also have to understand those two models are built for homeowners and are made light weight to be portable...so you have to consider the intended purpose and compare apples to apples. If you are building a lightweight unit then you can't fabricate it out of heavy gauge metal. There are a lot of misconceptions that since the skins are not welded on the Backwoods so they are not as "sturdy". This is complete crap. Try to pick up a Fatboy and tell me that cooker is not "sturdy". Second: Let's pretend that the Pint and the G2 Party are more or less identical cooker as you suggest: Do you really think that 1 company can make the same cooker in a higher quality manner for about 30% cheaper ($800/$2600 which is the price of a G2 Party) and actually stay in business? There is a very good reason BWS has been around since the mid 80's and a better reason why they are consistently on top.

I've cooked on both and you can't really go wrong with either one. There are pluses and minuses to each type.

3. With the standard BWS the steam from the water can make your bark not set properly (some users will debate this issue). Humphrey's has a solution to this: they have a slide out water pan that isn't right over the firebox that provides the moist environment without all the steam.
4. Temps can get away from you if you don't add water or if you light too many coals at one time

Answer to #3, see my brisket. This is from a Backwoods Fatboy. Enough bark for you?
Answer to #4, well, yea....temps will run w/o water. That is why they are water smokers. Second part of #4, learn how to control your fire.

Randy, like I told you two months ago, learn your cooker and how to cook on it. Every cooker is different. You will never get it right swapping cookers every few months no matter what you cook on.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 128
it's not the smoker, it's the cook.

Andy fad cooker. I think not you have to remember I was a Backwoods guy /dealer long before you or most people on this board. I know them inside and out!! I don't normally get in pissing matches but the amount of wins don't mean squat if your not getting your monies worth and there are significant quality issues. Believe you me we are priced right and making money. Maybe Backwoods is just over charging for what they are. I guess people are getting nervous if they have to talk this way and spy on what I am doing and report back to Mike. WA Wa get over it we make a killer unit and we are here to stay.

I don't have any experience with BWS, but coming from a WSM I did have concerns with steam and why I ran my WSM dry.

I have the drop in pan with the heat diverter plate, and I can say I have no steam at all and that is running at 250-275. My pork has never been better.

They will be gone in 5 years and you will be stuck with something that is worthless.

I think that comment is not accurate.

Unlike a computer, a simple piece of equipment like a smoker does not become obsolete merely because time passes. If a cooker is well built and functions properly, it has intrinsic value that doesn't depend on what happens with the company that made it.

For example, I see you are a fan of Backwoods Smokers. By this line of thinking, a shiny new Competitor purchased today would be "worthless" if Mike retired next year and chose to close the doors. That just doesn't make sense to me - a good cooker today is still a good cooker tomorrow as long as you take care of it.

I think it's funny when dealers of different smokers get in a pizzing match over which of their smokers is best. Like these are totally unbiased opinions, right? :thumb:

If you have to promote your product by trashing your competitor's product, that doesn't say much for your product.

So moral of the story here gentlemen............is he should "build an uds"????

Has no one seriously said this yet?? I'm ashamed of some of you. Oh wait we aren't in Q Talk...... :behindsofa:
:bolt:

I think it's funny when dealers of different smokers get in a pizzing match over which of their smokers is best. Like these are totally unbiased opinions, right? :thumb:

If you have to promote your product by trashing your competitor's product, that doesn't say much for your product.

Heck that happens 24/7 on this forum whether it be someone in general talking about how WSMs blow because of the door leak or stick burners for be maintenance heavy or a COS for being a fuel hog or for most gravity fed cookers not being designed well because the bottom rack is so much hotter because the heat comes from the bottom.

Nothing different here. Let's not kid ourselves here....it ain't just dealers :razz:

Heck that happens 24/7 on this forum whether it be someone in general talking about how WSMs blow because of the door leak or stick burners for be maintenance heavy or a COS for being a fuel hog or for most gravity fed cookers not being designed well because the bottom rack is so much hotter because the heat comes from the bottom.

Nothing different here. Let's not kid ourselves here....it ain't just dealers :razz:

People who purchase and have used a particular brand of smoker are one thing. That's one of the things that makes a forum like this so valuable. People who make a living selling a particular brand are another.

Of course, they have the right to say whatever they want. It's a free country, but don't be under any illusion that what the dealers are saying is anything more than what the car salesman down the street will tell you when you walk on his lot.

Dealers are great if you want to know things like the specs, capacity, and burn times of their smokers, but when they go beyond that and start trashing their competitor's product, that raises a red flag for me.

People who purchase and have used a particular brand of smoker are one thing. That's one of the things that makes a forum like this so valuable. People who make a living selling a particular brand are another.

Of course, they have the right to say whatever they want. It's a free country, but don't be under any illusion that what the dealers are saying is anything more than what the car salesman down the street will tell you when you walk on his lot.

Dealers are great if you want to know things like the specs, capacity, and burn times of their smokers, but when they go beyond that and start trashing their competitor's product, that raises a red flag for me.

Dont generalize a delaer being a car sales men which is basically saying we don't know what our pruduct or what it can do.. I am fully involved with my product and new ones that come out. I know BBQ and I know my product!! Keep your half assed comments to yourself!! One more thing I didn't start the pissing match but I will defend myself. I will not comment on this
Any further.

I vote UDS. Black Betty produced a 1st place chicken (180) and 3rd place brisket out of 35 teams 3 weeks ago. I love my ghetto smoker.

BlackBetty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So moral of the story here gentlemen............is he should "build an uds"????

Has no one seriously said this yet?? I'm ashamed of some of you. Oh wait we aren't in Q Talk...... :behindsofa:
:bolt:

Actually, said that back n page 2. I can't believe that didn't stop the whole thread. Ha

Dont generalize a delaer being a car sales men which is basically saying we don't know what our pruduct or what it can do.. I am fully involved with my product and new ones that come out. I know BBQ and I know my product!! Keep your half assed comments to yourself!! One more thing I didn't start the pissing match but I will defend myself. I will not comment on this
Any further.

You don't think good car salesmen know their product as much as you know yours?

Thanks for making my point for me with your nutty rant. You are really coming across very well in promoting your product. :thumb:

Back