Pyrex Baking Dish Explosion with pic's

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you have had this issue but last weekend it happened to me. I was making DrBBQ's Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=785965&postcount=10

My first step was to sear the roast a for 30 minutes at 450*. Then remove from the oven and add the gravy. Then return the roast to the oven and finish the roast. This is when things went bad.

I had paced my roast and a small wire rack into a 9"x13" baking dish. Before picture here.
DSCF0013-10.jpg

After the 30 minutes I removed the roast from the oven in the Pyrex dish and placed it on the stove top . I then started to slowly pour the gravy into the dish. I made sure gravy was at room temps because this dish is a glass dish and I did not want to have an issue with it breaking. I believe what happened to me after doing some research was thermal down shock. Meaning that the temps of the glass dish and the liquids were not happy!

Well after a few hours of prep work my cook went to hell in a heartbeat. Boom my dish exploded and my meal was wrecked. Here are a couple pictures of what happened on my stove top.

DSCF0017-9.jpg

DSCF0018-9.jpg

I can not even explain how this scared me when it blew the fark up! I was literally right in front of it and I had glass almost 15-20 feet away from the stove. Not to mention when it happened my wife was walking our Sheppard/lab/mutt. My son was in his room and came walking in barefoot after he heard it explode. I yelled at him to get back in his room and not come back in until he had shoes on. I clean up the floor a bit so the entry way was clean and safe for the dogs paws. Per my wife's return she was like wtf just happened! I told our dog to get on his blanket! He just went to his blanket area in our living room and stayed there until we told him it was OK! Good dog! I guess he's not a totally dumb mutt! LOL

After about an hour of cleaning we had our kitchen back to normal. Well then I headed out to get another roast and a heavy foil pan for the next go around at this great recipe! I'll save that for another thread!

I have done similar cooks with this exact same dish in the past and never had this happen. Needles to say a metal roasting pan is in my future plans or I will just use a heavy aluminum pan for easy cleanup.

After doing some research it seems that with these dishes exploding is not uncommon. Also it seems that there are many different causes for this to happen. I really love my corning ware and these dishes but sorry to say I am afraid to use them. I read that people have had them break even while cleaning them. One case I read it was after it had been in the dishwasher overnight and a lady went to put it away. She picked it up to place into her kitchen cabinet and boom! I could not believe all the horror stories that I read in the link below.

The reason of this post is for the safety of our members here. If you are not aware of the dangers of this dish please read the link below. I spent almost two hours earlier today reading and I also read some of the other links listed on the page listed below. If you feel that this is all bull then more power to you. I have used these dishes for years and never once thought this could happen. Well it did and now I'm scared to use another one. Please read the link below. Thank you for reading. Vince

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me. Since then I do not pour cold liquid into a hot dish. I thought a grenade exploded when it happened.

Same thing happened at my Mothers house at Christmas. My brother was cooking a roast, pulled it out to add the gravy same as you did, and it exploded. Luckily nobody was hurt. Luckily I arrived after the mess was cleaned up. :lol:

I had heard that Pyrex changed the glass formula a few years back and its these newer, cheaper ones that explode. The older ones are supposed to be safe. Not sure if that is true or not but I am sticking to metal. I have never had a metal lasagna pan blow up on me. Yet.

Hope you're ok. Think I'd have had an accident in my pants if that had happened to me :icon_smil

I've had pyrex glassware for years and never had a problem with it. I'd be wary of internet horror stories because whenever you Google something you always find horror stories, but I fully understand why you'd be reluctant to use one again.

I reckon your dish must have been damaged in some way (knocked in the cupboard or something)or had a manufacturing defect, this may have been invisible - I assume the stove top hadn't just been turned off or anything, Pyrex doesn't like direct heat. Unless as someone posted above Pyrex have cheapened their products recently.

Hope you manage to get our cook done with better results using a metal pan though.

Cheers

Steve

Unfortunately, that looks familiar. I had the same thing happen to me a little more than a month ago, but it was completely my fault.

I was cooking a roast in the oven and something else on the stovetop. I removed the pan from the stovetop but the burner was still on. I pulled the roast out of the oven and stupidly set it on the hot burner. After a few minutes... BAM! The pan and my meal were toast. :mad:

I sent the family out to dinner while I got the pleasure of cleaning up my mess.

John

I had a little different type explosion happen. Took the wife's mac and cheese out of the oven and placed it on the stove top (elec) while turning a burner on for something else but I turned the wrong burner on. That's right, dumass me turned the burner on that I just placed the hot mac and cheese to cool down on. Needless to say it exploded in about 2 minutes. Glass everywhere and a not so happy wife as we had company over to eat. :-D

Good to know thanks. I have only poured hot liquid into pyrex and that doesn't cause the heat differential (Liquid 212 F max Pyrex room temp).

This kind of catastrophe also happens commonly with hot pyrex dishes and not so warm granite countertops.

I know a week has passed, but to pick up any shards of glass, make a big wad of dough (like your'e going to make bread and roll it all over the kitchen floor especially under cabinets and in the corners. Alternatively, wet /damp newspaper also seems to work well.

Glad to hear that no injuries were sustained.

When this happened the stove top had not been used all day. I guess heating the liquid up might have helped. However after reading some of the stories in the link I provided it seems that there are multiple reasons for these to break. I don't get it because I assumed these things were the cats meow and seem to be more like the cats litter box! I personally will never use one of these dishes like this again. It is just not worth it in my opinion. Thanks for the comments guys. As I stated in my original post I wanted to make people aware of what can happen and let you choose from there. Vince

Vince sent me the picture when it happened and i was amazed that Pyrex would do that, but I guess it's not that uncommon! I'm glad that no one was hurt!

I am very glad that nobody was injured, and heck yes I believe all of you!

My wife tells me the older pyrex was only rated at 350 degrees.
If I am baking anything that need higher temps I use those stainless steel half hotel pans.
I was reading the paperwork on the newer pyrex dishes at the store the other day, they say they are safe up to 450 degrees I do believe, please don't quote me.
Showed that to the wife while shopping and she said bullchit!
Guess she was right.
I sure don't want any explosions in my house like you folks havehad happen.

Funny I thought I read that they were good up to 900*. I guess i better look again. I did have it in a 450* oven for a half hour!:cry:

Doing it once wasn't enough for me, I've actually done this twice. One time when I put the liquid glaze in on upside down pineapple cake and one time when I added chicken broth to a roast. It scares the hell out of you.

Glad there were no injuries.

i just mentioned this to my wife. she asked at what temp was the cook and i said 450 and she said you can't, that its only good to 350 deg. i mentioned the pouring of gravy and she said you can't do that either unless the gravy is very hot also. she has the same dish that she has had for over 35 years. so i assume that they are fine for basic normal cooks. steel should be used for the extremes.

Well at least you're okay my brotha, and lived to tell the story. :shock:

glad you are okay. ive done this before on accident. I hate hate hate electric stoves and didnt realize my wife turned it on and walked away when i put a pyrex dish with potatoes on the stove. BOOM.

Glad you are okay.
kris

I switched to stainless a while back, that is rough too see. I think I will stick with metal.

Back