Unread 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker View Post
OK guys some basic FYI
This is some info I have discovered over the past few years on chicken cooking, smoking, and frying. This information has helped me win bird a few times. Chicken Skin WTF

OK I have found two kinds of chicken for sale!
Fryer Chicken and Smokiní Chicken

Birds store fat mostly in the skin and Chickens with a thick fatty yellowish skin are mostly produced by big chicken producers like Purdue etc. A fatty yellow stained skin comes from the chicken's growth enhancing diet like corn. You guys will find that yellow more fatty skin is associated with a higher quality bird in the stores and this is most likely true but white/light skinned bird will get crispier faster and has less FAT content than a yellow skin bird. I realize other variables should be considered when discussing skin color like chicken processing temps etc etc. but this has been my experience. While shopping for chicken I look for a young bird with a thinner translucent skin. I try to look for bird that is advertised as a young bird and look for skin quality and fat content IN THE SKIN.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject and I hope it helps a few guys put it all in the box!
How about a brand name ???

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote