View Single Post
Unread 05-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

You can use any piece of chicken you want. Saying that, you may want to follow what everyone else does unless you like to gamble. The result in the end will tell whether or not you will want to do legs again. I personally like thighs better because I feel they are much more juicy compared to legs. If I get a box with both legs and thighs I go for the thigh first if given the choice. To keep your scores in line with all the judges (which is like pulling "I" teeth to begin with) you may want to keep all the meat in the box equal for each judge. This is why I won't turn in a whole cut up chicken. Give a couple of judges a juicy thigh and a couple of judges a dry breast and you'll kill yourself in the scores. Wings usually don't do very well either, I think because there isn't really enough meat for a judge to sample.
Try legs one time and see how you do, then try thighs the next time. Heck, cook up both at a contest and then try them and see which one comes out to be the most worthy of turning in. Good Luck! It's any man's game! Go with your feelings.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote