View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The requirement is 6 individual pieces...wings, legs, sliced breasts, thighs, etc. or a combination. Understand that whatever you provide WILL be tasted - if you do 4 thighs and 2 wings -- somebody is going to taste it and ONE judge does not a high score make...

As has been stated, thighs are most forgiving and the most often turned in pieces...I've been tasting some good breast meat...but when compared to the dark meat also in the box, it isn't as moist or tasty...if you mix white and dark it can cause you "problems"...

We are seeing more wings...I have seen the middle joint wings submitted along with thighs and they do very well...the "drummies" are never as tender as the middle joint - and that "toughness" around the knuckle can cause problems.

Turn in what you think is your best product that day...if you really, really, really, like your wings - turn them in -- but don't be so lame as to put six lonely little wings in a box full of lettuce and parsley...I'd probably turnin no less than 10-12 wings...

These are MY opinions - as a judge and competitor. Moving outside the "norms" is great - if you don't mind getting hammered now and then. It's kind of like doing "naked" turnin boxes at KCBS...some days you gotta do what ya gotta do!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote