The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First time Armadillo Eggs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80408)

Crazy Tex 03-14-2010 09:49 PM

First time Armadillo Eggs

Wow.
I didn't know what I have been missing. I should put myself into the penalty box for a long time...

Jimmy Dean wrapped around a chunk of Colby Jack, onion, and jalepeno... sprinkled with rib rub, smoked, and topped with a sweet BBQ sauce...

No pics, because they were eaten so quickly...:becky: Even my friends Grandpa who is a man of few words couldn't stop talking about them. Made my day

Swineola 03-15-2010 03:06 AM

That sounds fantastic! The Jimmy Dean is a great touch. I am glad to hear you did not use cream cheese. I think the folks who sell the cream cheese ones should be forced to do horrible things and never be allowed to eat real cheese again. Cream cheese is for bagels and cakes. :-).

Derek 03-15-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Tex (Post 1215345)
Wow.
I didn't know what I have been missing. I should put myself into the penalty box for a long time...

Jimmy Dean wrapped around a chunk of Colby Jack, onion, and jalepeno... sprinkled with rib rub, smoked, and topped with a sweet BBQ sauce...

No pics, because they were eaten so quickly...:becky: Even my friends Grandpa who is a man of few words couldn't stop talking about them. Made my day

Man, your so farking lucky you can try all sorts of different egg's all I got here in Mi are chicken eggs, turkey eggs.

Puppyboy 03-15-2010 08:42 AM

Man I need to try these.

Nick@ParkAQ 03-15-2010 12:03 PM

Sound wonderful in that clogged artery kind of way.

Ron_L 03-15-2010 12:14 PM

Armadillo Eggs are great! Here is a classic picture from Rick's Tropical Delight out of this thread...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...er2007-001.jpg

Crazy Tex 04-04-2010 08:58 PM

Just a thought here... I am going to try to mix the onion, cheese, and jalapeno all up in a food processor, roll them into the filling shape, freeze it, then when I'm ready to cook, just wrap the sausage around them and throw on the smoker.

Think that will give better flavor distribution in the middle, and they will also be consistent, meaning one person wont get a ho-hum jalapeno and someone else gets an atomic tongue burner...

Any thoughts on that process?

Nick@ParkAQ 04-05-2010 01:36 AM

just one thought ---bland. I like to as they say taste the flavors the colors and the textures. Mixing it up you get paste. Also we don't do cheese its takes heat away:biggrin1:

grillfella 04-05-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Tex (Post 1215345)
Wow.

My first experience was the same with my friends an family:-D

Meatball 04-05-2010 06:48 AM

looks good I must try that one

MikeR 04-05-2010 09:12 AM

Love them armadillo eggs- of course the missus hates when I make them/ eat them. Something about wanting to have me around to grow old with. :rolleyes:

btcg 04-05-2010 09:15 AM

:shock:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 1215518)
Man, your so farking lucky you can try all sorts of different egg's all I got here in Mi are chicken eggs, turkey eggs.

btcg 04-05-2010 09:21 AM

The sweet BBQ sauce seems like a mismatch to me... think I'll try lemon juice on top.

Ron_L 04-05-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcg (Post 1239973)
The sweet BBQ sauce seems like a mismatch to me... think I'll try lemon juice on top.

I'm going to have to try that. The sweet bbq sauce is perfect to me. It compliments the saltiness of the sausage and cheese and the slight heat of the jalapeno. I'm not sure about lemon juice.

Big George's BBQ 04-05-2010 09:55 AM

That sounds great