The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Farkin' Chicken Skin is Killin' Me (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27663)

Jeff_in_KC 05-29-2007 09:59 PM

Farkin' Chicken Skin is Killin' Me

OK seeing as how my chicken skins are ALWAYS seeming to pull back from both ends, I had an idea - any thoughts on this:

Buy a package of nice trimmed boneless, skinless thighs from Sam's Club and a couple of packages of regular thighs. Take off the skins from the regular and trim them down and cut off all fat. Wrap them completely around the smaller boneless, skinless thighs and use toothpicks to hold in place.

Labor intensive, yeah, but possibly worth it? :?: Anyone ever try this?

BBQchef33 05-29-2007 10:10 PM

Your idea almost guarantees the skin will pull off the meat with no effort.

how about this instead.

get thighs that are on the larger side of medium.

Using a sheers, or VERY sharp knife, trim the thigh to be much smaller than the skin, so the existing skin wraps around the chicken and can be tucked under.

;)

Ron_L 05-29-2007 10:23 PM

The Poobah has spoken! :-D

Bentley 05-29-2007 10:51 PM

This is why I made my sister start cookin chicken!

Jeff_in_KC 05-29-2007 11:11 PM

I suppose that's a better idea, Phil. What about de-boning them to make more room under the skin?

Plowboy 05-29-2007 11:14 PM

Sounds like Sammie of Chick N Pig needs to have a chicken cooking class. Where do I sign up?

Jaberwabee 05-30-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 402865)
Sounds like Sammie of Chick N Pig needs to have a chicken cooking class. Where do I sign up?

No Chit. I am going to stay out of the competitions until I know I can beat a 10 yr old............... I'll be waiting awhile. Hey, Sammie if you need a BBQ B#$&, or a "Helper" let me know I am in, and I can drive to get you anything.

Puppyboy 05-30-2007 07:33 AM

That tooth pick idea worked out pretty good in practice. But now this trimming of the chicken and the tucking of its skin sounds interesting. May have to give it a shot this weekend.

smokincracker 05-30-2007 07:40 AM

Bonless??? Will that work? :)

Mrs. Sawdust 05-30-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 402836)
Your idea almost guarantees the skin will pull off the meat with no effort.

how about this instead.

get thighs that are on the larger side of medium.

Using a sheers, or VERY sharp knife, trim the thigh to be much smaller than the skin, so the existing skin wraps around the chicken and can be tucked under.

;)

What Poobah said is pretty much what Dr. BBQ taught us at the class.

BBQchef33 05-30-2007 09:15 AM

what class? :redface:

Only thing i remember is my feet hurt.

MoKanMeathead 05-30-2007 01:41 PM

Jeff - why not just cook them like you did at Blue Springs last year? Was that a fluke? Go back to what won!!!...or keep looking for that elusive gurantee. :roll:

tony76248 05-30-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead (Post 403092)
Jeff - why not just cook them like you did at Blue Springs last year? Was that a fluke? Go back to what won!!!...or keep looking for that elusive gurantee. :roll:

Makes sense to me!

Jeff_in_KC 05-30-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead (Post 403092)

If you recall, we were up all night drinking with your drunk "girlfriends" watching them dump pork butts off collapsing racks into water pans... I'm not sure I remember WTF I did at Blue Springs! :lol:

BBQ_Mayor 05-31-2007 07:04 AM

Jeff - you worry too much. Try to find thighs that are about the same size ( I know its hard to do some times). I then trim the thighs to get them even closer to the same size. Heres the trick tho, just trim the meat under the skin and pull the skin back over the meat.
You can always trim excess skin after the cook.
Chicken is easy, pork on the other hand is a different animal.