The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork Loin (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12477)

Kevin 07-08-2005 11:41 PM

Pork Loin
 
Went shopping today and spare ribs are $3.99, Brisket is $3.49, buttts are reasonable, but we've been having them too much lately, whole pork loins are $1.99. Guess what we're having? Did a forum search on pork loins. Holy pig skin batman, what a cache of ideas. The stuffed loin is gonna get a workout this weekend.
The OL thought I was nuts. I would read the posts for awhile, go take a fatty out of the freezer, read some more, go take a pack of polish sausage out of the freezer, read some more, get a brick of bleu cheese out of the freezer, read some more, go take another pork loin out of the freezer, read some more, tell her "this will never thaw by morning, I'll just get another at the store, and put the loin back in the freezer".
Just sticking to the advice of one wiser than me "too much fuel and effort to not cook with the pit full".

Thanks Guys, your efforts at making all of this information available is not going unappreciated.

Maybe some brats in the waterpan as well.

Kevin :lol:

Bill-Chicago 07-09-2005 12:32 AM

RE: Pork Loin
 
stuffed is good, but 165 wrapped to 190, coolered for 3 hours, and cut (watch out for extremely hot juice) is good too.

With loins averaging 1.79#, I cook them often.

Think there might be some stuffing idears in the Roadmap thread for loins.

They are by far my favorite cut.

Leftovers: sliced, chopped and sauce added, etc.

Neil 07-09-2005 06:57 AM

Re: Pork Loin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin
Went shopping today and spare ribs are $3.99, Brisket is $3.49, buttts are reasonable, but we've been having them too much lately, whole pork loins are $1.99. Guess what we're having? Did a forum search on pork loins. Holy pig skin batman, what a cache of ideas. The stuffed loin is gonna get a workout this weekend.
The OL thought I was nuts. I would read the posts for awhile, go take a fatty out of the freezer, read some more, go take a pack of polish sausage out of the freezer, read some more, get a brick of bleu cheese out of the freezer, read some more, go take another pork loin out of the freezer, read some more, tell her "this will never thaw by morning, I'll just get another at the store, and put the loin back in the freezer".
Just sticking to the advice of one wiser than me "too much fuel and effort to not cook with the pit full".

Thanks Guys, your efforts at making all of this information available is not going unappreciated.

Maybe some brats in the waterpan as well.

Kevin :lol:

Looks like the Brethren has captured another soul.

kcquer 07-09-2005 07:30 AM

RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Quote:

They are by far my favorite cut.
Probably my second favorite. Very versatile, great to serve guests, very predictable (almost always 6 hrs in the smoke, 2 in the foil, then as long in the cooler as you can stand.
Bigdog really needs to cook one of these!!

rbinms33 07-09-2005 09:09 AM

RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Looks like you're in for a fun weekend. Make sure you give us the post game report.

Kevin 07-10-2005 12:18 PM

RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Post game report:
Good eatin. They are a little dry. Probably because they didn't hit the cooler till 8:00 PM, out of the cooler at midnight, and in the fridge at 2:00 AM. Didn't slilce until this morning. Nothing some good sauce won't fix.

Left to right:
1 polish sausage stuffed
2 green olive,pepperoncini,pickled japs,garlic,bleu cheese,and a little rub.
3 Maple fattie. Maple just rules, my favorite of all three



Kevin

rbinms33 07-10-2005 12:23 PM

RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
They may be a little dry, but they look awesome!!! Good job!!

Bigdog 07-10-2005 12:28 PM

Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcquer
Quote:

They are by far my favorite cut.
Probably my second favorite. Very versatile, great to serve guests, very predictable (almost always 6 hrs in the smoke, 2 in the foil, then as long in the cooler as you can stand.
Bigdog really needs to cook one of these!!

When I saw the topic, I knew that this was coming you farker. :wink:

Wayne 07-10-2005 01:36 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Looks good to me. If it comes out a little dry then just serve it upwitha little extra sauce. I have even thought about serving it with brown gravey or better jet German Jagger sauce. My brother-in-law also makes a sauce with raisens, pine nuts and such that would really be good. I guess I need to get his recipe and post it for all to try. The thing that I have noticed about pork loin is that it is one of my least favorite things BBQ'd but my families favorite. We never have any left over so it gets fixed a lot. Don't get me wrong...I still eat it and enjoy it a lot but it is just not my favorite.

kcquer 07-10-2005 02:56 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Quote:

When I saw the topic, I knew that this was coming you farker.
LMAO, you know it's gonna keep coming until I see pics of one you fixed too :wink:

Kevin, great looking eats Bro!! Very nice job. :D

Samichlaus 07-10-2005 04:14 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
How did you stuff it? Just sorta make a tunnel with a knife?

I think it's Parrothead who unrolls them, covers the meat with stuffing then rolls it back up & ties it. I would guess they look a lot like a cinnamon roll.

Kevin 07-10-2005 05:09 PM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samichlaus
How did you stuff it? Just sorta make a tunnel with a knife?

I think it's Parrothead who unrolls them, covers the meat with stuffing then rolls it back up & ties it. I would guess they look a lot like a cinnamon roll.

Yes, make an X in each end with a knife meeting in the middle. Found this doing a roadmap search here on this sight. I'm going to look around at work and see if I can find a piece of stainless steel pipe about 1 1/4" diameter. I'll try sharpening one end. Should be able to push it through the loin like coring a pineapple. The knife technique works fine, just thought a perfect circle would make a little nicer presentation. This realy was a fun experiment. Will do again.

Kevin

Neil 07-11-2005 10:55 AM

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
I fixed a 9#er yesterday stuffed with hot Italian sausage and it turned out great. I also used the X cut method and it worked out great. Per Bill's suggestion, I froze the sausage links first and it was easy to insert them into the center of the centerloin.

Trout_man22 07-11-2005 12:18 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
Man that looks good

Wayne 07-11-2005 07:58 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin
 
I usually cut the whole tenderloin in half to make things more manageable. I then poke a Cutco blunt point slicing knife all the way through the meat and cut a little to makesure thatthe stuffing sausage will easily fit. Then I insert the sausage all the way through. I then use a big fork to poke through the tenderloin and sausage so that the sausages juice and fat can find its way to the pork to add juice and flavor. Then I rub it good and let it marinate for a while. Lastly I slather it in mustard (my granddaughter helps with this part) and plop it in the pit till it is done.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.